Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    I do not disagree with bracket or master grounds, they do have a use, but they are not working grounds. There have been a few cases in the past where guys have gotten hurt because of a circulating current that was caused by induction. If the company is set on bracket grounds , so be it but use equipotential grounding in your work area, to keep your arse safe. Gounding a line is the best way to work on it, if you do it right. And hey Lewy, so you would work on a live circuit with a grounded circuit behind your back. Would you rubber that grounded circuit to protect you from a second point of contact then? I would!
    The nice thing about having it grounded is I would have the choice on moving it out of the way or covering it, & I could bundle the conductors if I wanted too. Just more options.

The old fellas always taught me never to have a ground anywhere near your work area when working live and it makes dang good sense!!!

I heard tonight that he got in series with the pole ground and static. It took 40 min. for life flight to show. His crew definitely saved him.

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    The old fellas always taught me never to have a ground anywhere near your work area when working live and it makes dang good sense!!!
    I agree & that is why I would move it & it is easier to move when grounded. Just as long as you know our rule book does not allow us to work on isolated lines.

The thing about those rule books is they aren't always sensible. I find the idea of working on a live line anywhere near a ground scary and I won't do it. To me common sense and a little knowledge goes a very long way. If you come right down to it, if there was a problem I would rather be between a live phase and an isolated one, than between a live phase and a grounded one. I'd call it a false sense of security.

Featured Sponsorr

So you would work between 2 live covered phase, but not a live covered phase & a covered grounded phase. We know that most double ccts in this province are arm less, so if you were working on the far cct live you would ground the near cct then you could put all 3 together & have them on the bottom insulator while you are working on the top & then just move them as necessary as the job moved on. We both know that it would be easier to move those conductors grounded. We went over this with EUSA & we could not find a job that could not be done this way. At the end of the day just as long as you know you are breaking the rule (applies to entire province) & the utility you are working for doesn't say anything & nothing happens you will be fine.