Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Worker 'shocked' while servicing power line

Featured Sponsor

Posted: 01/27/2012
    GOLD CANYON, AZ - Authorities say a man was critically injured when he was shocked while working on high voltage power lines in the east Valley.

Apache Junction Deputy Fire Chief David Montgomery said fire crews responded to a reported electrocution east of Gold Canyon around noon Friday.

He said crews had difficulty getting to the remote location with no maintained road system.

Montgomery said the 40-year-old male had been treated by fellow Salt River Project workers using an Automated External Defibrillator they carried with them. He said their quick actions kept the victim alive until advanced emergency medical care arrived at the scene.

The victim was air-lifted to Maricopa County Burn Center with life-threatening injuries.http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region...ing-power-line

Montgomery said workers told fire crews that the power to the high-voltage lines had been disconnected, but that the lines may have been back-fed from another source that was not disconnected.

The victim was not identified. His current condition is unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by CPOPE View Post
    He said crews had difficulty getting to the remote location with no maintained road system.

Montgomery said the 40-year-old male had been treated by fellow Salt River Project workers using an Automated External Defibrillator they carried with them. He said their quick actions kept the victim alive until advanced emergency medical care arrived at the scene.
    And there's a good chance that without that defib unit he'd already be dead. So how many of you guys actually have defibs on your trucks yet?
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default good question Clive

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    And there's a good chance that without that defib unit he'd already be dead. So how many of you guys actually have defibs on your trucks yet?
    Being this is America,I do wonder if we have,maybe a few...............Clive if we do have them,Im sure they are from China.

Thanks, i heard about this, but couldn't find any info on it Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    We don't have them in our trucks yet, we keep asking about them. We have one in our warehouse, so I guess we are safe in the morning when we show up, and in the evening when we return to the shop!

There is only one warehouseman, so I guess he would have to rig it on himself if he had heart failure!

Default BigClive

we have them on all big buckets, warehouse, metershop, mechanic garage. We get recertified every year on them..

Tell me this guys... we are being told like it is a religion in school to always verify a line is not hot/dead, and then ground it afterwards even if you open up a switch yourself... in real life, does this not happen?

Quote Originally Posted by wantafastz28 View Post
    Tell me this guys... we are being told like it is a religion in school to always verify a line is not hot/dead, and then ground it afterwards even if you open up a switch yourself... in real life, does this not happen?
    Yes, it should be happening!!

De-energize, test, ground. ALWAYS!

Don't know the particulars on this one, but a set of grounds should take care of back feed!

Good to hear... it just makes sense IMO... made me wonder in the real world if crews just get so close/trusting of each other that this gets over looked or something. Thanks for the clear up.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by wantafastz28 View Post
    Yes you should never work on a line isolated, either live or grounded.