Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What IF

Blog Entries

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    Self-preservation is a powerful factor. It's crazy though how many guys are dying the same way linemen did40 years ago.
    Crazy aint the word, the company i work for is shoveling young kids into Tman jobs soon as they top out, I tell them to call me any time day or night if they dont know what to do. Every thing here is predicated on caidi minutes with inexperience first line foreman pushing inexperienced youngsters, its a recepe for disaster.......**** shame.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Well Poot I have to agree, there isn't a whole lot that I would do different. Ground to ground and rest to rest would go, we are trained line man for goodness sake. Wheel chocks aren't that big a deal, I found once I got in the habit of putting them out when I dropped my outrigger pads it was nothing to do, and better than forgetting them when you really do need them. We don't use rubber sleeves here, but I have used them, and hated them. I would go back to free climbing, and being allowed to climb, even if you could get a bucket to it.

Default saidi minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    Crazy aint the word, the company i work for is shoveling young kids into Tman jobs soon as they top out, I tell them to call me any time day or night if they dont know what to do. Every thing here is predicated on caidi minutes with inexperience first line foreman pushing inexperienced youngsters, its a recepe for disaster.......**** shame.
    .......Been a long time since Ive heard that word..............Ill agree that having a t-man with that kind of experience isnt the smartest way to do things........seen stuff like that..........heard all the saidi b/s by the higher ups................after that happens you usually will go through a period of getting rid of the guys that have around 18 yrs of service.......has that happened yet where you are?........................saidi really sounds good..............its all about $$$$$$$$$$$ and we all know it.

I would also say ground to ground, but for me it would be all of the paper work you have to fill out, it would be nice just to be able to show up to a job & discuss how we are going to do it, then do it. I really would not change a whole lot, we don't wear sleeves or need face shields & I don't mind safety glasses. Having said this I understand why these rules are here & why they have come about & they have saved lives.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    .......Been a long time since Ive heard that word..............Ill agree that having a t-man with that kind of experience isnt the smartest way to do things........seen stuff like that..........heard all the saidi b/s by the higher ups................after that happens you usually will go through a period of getting rid of the guys that have around 18 yrs of service.......has that happened yet where you are?........................saidi really sounds good..............its all about $$$$$$$$$$$ and we all know it.
    Not sure what you mean about getting rid of giuys with around 18 years......if you mean getting rid of lineman, it aint happening, we are woefully understaffed now!!! Any reduction in the unionized workforce would be conducted in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement. Seniority, last hired first to go....
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Default What would you do differently?

Ground to ground rubbers?
    I think if your intention is to climb a pole or boom up there to work secondary only, Rubber gloves are enough unless you expect to reach thru an open wire main to dead end a service or buck off the main then sleeves are a good idea.
    If I'm going to work Primary then gloves and sleeves when with in MAD.
    I don't believe ground to ground is necessary.
    Hot sticking (tested sticks) use work gloves
    Grounding?
    We have rules about size of grounds and number of grounds when within 1/2 mile of the substation. always install the grounded side of the jumper first and then after a test dead ground the jumper to the conductor. Nothing is dead unless it's tested dead and grounded so untill that occurs rubber gloves are required
    Pole ground rods should be set away from the butt of the pole.(6 inches) Not stapled to the butt. . .they are not as likely to do their job unless they get around 10 ohms of resistance. I had a foreman that made me test for resistance when I first started but that has been one of those lost details.

Cover?
    Cover up is a personal thing in my opinion. Anything you can come in contact with especially below needs some consideration as to if it should be covered up. I'm not crazy about covering everything on a pole but in some cases you need more that you'd think. Always cover from close to you outward and remove cover from outside in staying below of the closest to you.

Minimum approach distances?
    On secondary and primary when within reach of energized conductors, on sub-transmission and transmission follow MAD distances. When the uninsulated boom of a truck get's within 10 feet of energized conductors (setting a pole) attention should be made about working around the truck. I like the rule we had about setting cones around the truck and barrier tape and a set of Rubber gloves outside the zone so if something happened someone could enter the zone with gloves on. The operator should stay on the truck and have gloves available.

Truck grounds?
    Working on a right of way under transmission grounding the truck is a good idea, if you ever got rapped off an energized truck you'd know why. It can be more deadly than that. Keep the area equal potenial with driven grounds.

Tagging?
    As an ex Troubleshooter and Dispatcher I'm all for tagging.
    Hold off clearance between open isolated points with grounds noted as to where they are. The names of the crew leaders on the Clearance so it can not be restored while those people are on the clearance.

Hot line de-energized clearance where the section is isolated but not grounded and the people on the clearance need to work in rubber gloves even though the section is de-energized but not grounded.

The Hot Line clearance sets reclosers and mulitple trip systems on one shot in case there is a problem the section should go out in one trip.

Unusual operation cards are for information like a tapchanger set to manual for switching.
    Letting other workers know the system is set like that for a reason.

Hope this helped
    T

Oh yea go back to free climbing. . .It's our responsibility to do this work and do it right. . not crazy about a Tie telling me how I should do it if they never did it. . . . .Yea it's their money but c'mon give us a break.
    Last edited by T-Man; 02-04-2012 at 10:04 AM.

I'd get rid of pencil whipped tailboards.

Default pencil whipped

Quote Originally Posted by hotwiretamer View Post
    I'd get rid of pencil whipped tailboards.
    Ill agree with that one..........used to fill out 2 tailboard sheets a day,,,,,we were only setting meters,sometimes trouble also as contractors,foreman didnt like us filling them out and using the copy machine......for the rest of the week or month,,haha...........interestion that the contractor tailboard sheets were more detailed than the utilitys tailboard sheets...but they were.

Default the BIG what if

Since you used the word hypothectical...............what if Osha or the companies had us doing all of our work dead........even secondarys......it wouldnt be as challenging.......pay most likely would go down..........accidents might take a dip..............I just cant see it...........there was one guy that stated that all of their work was done dead.........might have been Bren...........I can see where it would make a guy tons of money.........but dam,there is a time to go home and live a little,isnt there?

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    Self-preservation is a powerful factor. It's crazy though how many guys are dying the same way linemen did40 years ago.

Heights and electricity would be my guess, what if we did like forty years ago and worked everything dead. No need for FR clothing, ground to ground rubber, no different in potentials and the whole nine yards.