Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Testing line hose

Featured Sponsor

Hi guys does anyone know OSHA rule on testing and stamping line hose my company uses them as a level of protection on 34.5 kv but they are never tested, brought this up to them they said all we have to do is a visual every one knows that's crap are you just going to do a visual on your gloves I would hope not!! what does your company do ? Thanks for your help and comments

Our line hose has to be tested yearly from an approved tester. Just like your rubbers though they should be inspected before use & all cover up is designed for brush contact, not to be rested on an arm or screwdriver.
    Last edited by lewy; 02-04-2012 at 11:12 AM.

3. Default

I agree , I was always taught that you have to have a minimum of 2 levels of protection and our operating practice says that you can snake up 12.5 kv off a pole so if that's the case then the line hose would be considered protection?

Default Testing rubber hose

There is not a minimum time like with gloves and sleeves. I believe the standard says you must test when visual inspection indicates a need. I'll find the standard on Monday and post it.
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

While I didnt have them available when I was working i am seein more and more of the hard plastic variety( I bleve they have a higher rating). Very often they are left on the center phase after work is completed and I do not understand the reason for that. I reckon somebody out there does and If you wouldnt mind sharing that info I would precciate it. I have heard but dont know for a fact that it doesnt deteriate in the sun like the Rubber goods did. Also heard that it doesnt need to be tested as often as the Linehose( which I think was once every 2 years)

All of our testing is clearly laid out for us in our rule book
    rubber gloves every 90 days
    blankets, line hose, jumpers, hard fibre yearly
    pole platform, live line tools every 3 years
    bucket trucks & bucket liners yearly unless bare hand than 6 months

Default Gotta save the birds

Hay Poot does the line cover left on cover the center pin as well and extend from both sides? It might be for rapture protection. We have to do a lot of that out here, we do not use the line cover but all of our arresters, cutouts and all the bushings on everything are covered. We also use a pvc triangle thing when we have a nuetral up on the arm or on corners.
    If you can build it you can fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    While I didnt have them available when I was working i am seein more and more of the hard plastic variety( I bleve they have a higher rating). Very often they are left on the center phase after work is completed and I do not understand the reason for that. I reckon somebody out there does and If you wouldnt mind sharing that info I would precciate it. I have heard but dont know for a fact that it doesnt deteriate in the sun like the Rubber goods did. Also heard that it doesnt need to be tested as often as the Linehose( which I think was once every 2 years)
    We don't do it but I see it a lot in surrounding areas that are FPL territory, I have been told that it is to deter phase to phase faults from everything from tree limbs to animals, as B phase or center phase insulator is always covered as well as a piece of hard cover on both sides of the insulator, from what I see it's like that on every pole changeout as well as new lines that they build.

Ummmmmm Makes sense to me Thanks

Featured Sponsorr

Gloves every 30 days
    Guts,macs,blankets,hoist handles,pole jibs,and hot arms once a year
    Bucket trucks every 6 months

I'm not real fund of the hard guts in tight places I like rubber instead but for clearence purposes
    They are alot easier and very durable

The company that test all of our guts, macs, blanket, etc. They have portable trailers
    And they test everything in probably 2.5 days

Named HD Supply u can probably check them out on the web they are very professional
    Maybe that will help it's alot easier when they come to your company instead of trying to ship all of it........