Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to expect?

1. Default What to expect?

Featured Sponsor

I was wondering if some recently promoted appes give me some pointers on what to expect my first few months on the job. I recently got on with a cost plus crew for a big utility. I am entry level.

Ummmmmm well you can be expecting to get the crappiest details on the crew and you can expect to be talked to like a complete moron by the journeymen until you have proven to them that you have what it takes. At that point it slowly begins to get a lil better and it can take a while to get to that point.There is and always has been a very high turnover of wannabes in this trade and those guys are really only trying to weed out those that they dont see making the grade. No point in wasting anyones time training a momma's boy or a skeeredy cat.So if yer serious dont take it personal try and do what you are told and dont bow up on somebody the first day.

Default back and forth

....Ill say more later tonight,due to some yard work that needs to be done.........what Poot siad is true.............be ready to go back and forth to the truck.........someone might help you with the materials that you will be fetching........learn the materials when you can.....mostly the clamps,tape,air seals,ground rod clamps,crimpets,,,,,copper nails and clips.........bonding material..wire sizes......this seems like alot and is alot for a beginer.........hang in there,we all went through what you will be going through...........on your breaks this will be helpful.......drink while standing up,eat while looking at material.....use some of your so called free time to learn the material......you will need it.......dont be too shy,ask questions mainly about the work that you will be doing.

4. Default

Has anyone here been a tree worker and made the career change to linework? I am looking to see what people have to say is different and if it was a good career change. Also what kind of non union wages did you guys start off at? I am in Virginia if this helps.

Thank you guys for the quick responses. I look forward to seeing and posting more as my adventure to lineman starts.

Ummmmmmmmm Bleve it or not we wanna hear about your adventure. We'd also like to offer our help with questions you have along the way. I dunno bout wages in that area but round here an Apprentice starts at just over 18 an hour and progresses from there but itza union job notta non union one. There really aint a wage scale for non I dont think.

Default What to expect.

When I first started I took the initiative to learn where everything was on the truck I was on. Then when there was any down time I'd ask my lineman what the names of the material were. I kept the truck clean and did all the housekeeping for it.

Each lineman might have a specific way of how he does things; your going to just keep an open mind. I remember after about a month into it he came down and told me how he appreciated me keeping the truck clean but I need to start paying attention to what he's doing up there, start to guess the next move.

One thing that ticked me off with this new hire (especially knowing he went to a college and bragged about being top of his class) another guy and I we're working a broke pole. Every now and then I would look down and seen him staring off into space, not doing anything related to his job. Yeah at some point there's only so much you can do on the ground but after that you need to be looking up.

When you first start out you'll be one lost puppy. Just stay busy and as time goes on you'll get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Ummmmmmmmm Bleve it or not we wanna hear about your adventure. We'd also like to offer our help with questions you have along the way. I dunno bout wages in that area but round here an Apprentice starts at just over 18 an hour and progresses from there but itza union job notta non union one. There really aint a wage scale for non I dont think.
    I started at $14.50 an hour non-union AFTER attending SLTC. Once I went union as long as I did what I was supposed to do every 6 months another raise. Now I don't get raises but I was well into the six digits.

In Virginia I'd put you from $8-13 depending on work experience.
    Last edited by rcdallas; 02-06-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Default lets turn that table a little

.........Lets also talk about what not to expect,just a little...............even my friend Mr.Poot might comment on this first one...............if and when your crew goes to a fast food joint,or a restaurant you may not want too,or he might not let you sit by him.....your journeyman...........dont expect these guys to give you a break when you feel tired......they know you are but they are just watching...............dont expect them to make water for you or them,thats your job.........dont expect them to be impressed by the way you dress.....meaning dont even try to wear any type of slacks,stay with jeans..................dont expect them to really care what you done before...............those days are over.......try to keep off that one if possible............we wish you good luck.

9. Default

keep your mouth closed and just listen if they wanna know something about you theyll ask, its helped me alot dont get alot of sh!t from the guys i work with and they dont give a sh!t about what u think you know or where u been just my experience. Im not saying dont ask questions but your not gonna impress em with how big your truck is or how drunk u can get that kinda stuff.

10. Default Thanks for the responses.

Featured Sponsorr

Thanks you all for the feedback! I look forward to starting my new career. I will be working on a hourly crew for a contractor. I have applied to Dominion Power, and I go next Thursday to take the CAST Test. I want to be a Lineman so I am willing to work for the contractor to get my foot in the door until I can get on with an IOU or Co-Op. Believe it or not the rate of pay for the non-union contractor I will go to work for is about a $1.50-$1.75 more than Dominions Union pay (Journeyman). The recruiter told me Dominion's Journeyman pay is $33.00/Hr, but you cant beat their holidays, sick time, pension and matching 401k. If you all have any pointers to help get on with an IOU, please let me know.

Thanks