Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Ummmmmmm then how come when I dun it I got frute salad?

Quote Originally Posted by iwlv433 View Post
    so i am assuming that it is a lot of basic math nothing too intense. what are bananas refering to
    It's ALL "Basic Math" man. Nowdays, all ya got to do is read the Print. It tells ya everything, down to the fuse size.

You don't need to "Think". You're just a construction Monkey. Do what the Print and the Job order tells ya to do.

Linemen nowdays, aren't expected to know math. All they need to know is how to read a Print, and the job order you're given each day. It's all laid out for ya.

"Thinking, and makin Decisions"? Linemen don't do that no more.

Just follow the Print and the work order dude. If ya get "stuck"....call the office. If ya think ya see somethin Wrong??? And want to question it....
    Be...berry, berry careful. Feathers may be "ruffeled".

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    It's ALL "Basic Math" man. Nowdays, all ya got to do is read the Print. It tells ya everything, down to the fuse size.

You don't need to "Think". You're just a construction Monkey. Do what the Print and the Job order tells ya to do.

Linemen nowdays, aren't expected to know math. All they need to know is how to read a Print, and the job order you're given each day. It's all laid out for ya.

"Thinking, and makin Decisions"? Linemen don't do that no more.

Just follow the Print and the work order dude. If ya get "stuck"....call the office. If ya think ya see somethin Wrong??? And want to question it....
    Be...berry, berry careful. Feathers may be "ruffeled".
    Not where I'm at. We still use our brains here. I think you've been out of the loop awhile swamp, and your just "assumming".

Ummmmmmm yeah Thinkin Iz a must enywhere I ever been.N I dunno of enywhere it wudnt be.

Quote Originally Posted by hotwiretamer View Post
    Not where I'm at. We still use our brains here. I think you've been out of the loop awhile swamp, and your just "assumming".
    No I'm not sir.
    I talk and associate with Linemen, 2-3 times a week. And Linework, has turned into "Clone" work. "Follow the print". Do what your told. Build it as specified.

Now that said, as a "Troubleman", I had to use a little "Math", and actually got to "decide things" on the spot. Imagine that!

You're a Union Lineman Tamer. You get Prints and Job orders...It's all specified and writen down man. All ya do is "follow the Print, and build it as specified man". If you're doin trouble work...
    It don't take "Math" to replace a fuse.

LINEMEN, Always use their Brains. Problem is, nowdays...they don't need to much. "Just follow the Print, and the job order". "Thinkin"...is outside of "Contract".

It still pays to learn all you can, then you have the ability to question what is on the print(engineering is not always right), you don't want to get sent out to fix a problem with a typo on the print and build it that way anyhow because you don't have the knowledge to question it. This day and age engineering has all sorts of computer programs to figure fuse curves and co-ordination,loading etc,etc, but they still make mistakes and a well trained lineman can catch it and save the customer an outage or worse. Most places won't just come out and tell you but a well trained lineman is a valuable asset, while( parts changers) are a dime a dozen.

Default everyday

.............Einstein,and all the other brains did most of the math,weather you know it or not.........tons of this is based on math...........transformers stepping down voltages,angles ,vectors,ohms,current ,voltage...........Ill never claim to be an Einstein,he was possibly great.....a very smart guy..................but on the other hand I never heard of him strapping hooks.

On some jobs you use Trigonometry daily. The fly jobs on guyed steel towers is all figured using the Pythagorean theorem: All guys are cut to length in the fly yard (Boring Job)
    If you are the wire sagger with transits you figure offset sags. Same goes with figuring sag of ruling span. and having to turn an angle sag.
    There are jobs iline workrk that goes beyond figuring power factors anhorizontalal sag tensions, and if you get luck enough to be around lineman that can teach you these formulas, you can demand and get way above union scale. I was around and I waeagerer to learn, and after 45 years still learning .

Over the year I posted many drawings formulas and sag charts dealing with line work. Because some couldn't stand my politics they were removed. Well Bryon and Topgroove has buried the hatchet. But I have not been so forgiving that I will ever go back and rewrite those pages.

Basic Trigonometry

http://www.trigonometry-help.net/basictrigonometry.php

Why did the first electrical workers feel the need to Unionize? To give you something to rail against? No. Because there was a 50% mortality rate in the business. Safety! IT IS STILL TRUE TODAY!

I remember using a pile of math at line school, figuring out the weight of a conductor, line tension, bisect tension guy tension transformer ratios, ohms law, just to name a few. I can honestly say I rarely use any math now at all.

Featured Sponsorr

But it helps to know how that is all worked out for when you suddenly have to. It's like saying you don't need to understand electrical theory, but it does actually help a lot.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com