Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Do as told?

Featured Sponsor

Just because it says on the print to do this and do that that don't mean you follow it.

Here's an example.

Print calls to install a open wye open delta bank 120/240. The lighting pot calls to go on B phase and the power pot calls to go on A phase.

Sorry I'm not going to install it like that no matter what that print says. Does anyone know why?

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    No I'm not sir.
    I talk and associate with Linemen, 2-3 times a week. And Linework, has turned into "Clone" work. "Follow the print". Do what your told. Build it as specified.

Now that said, as a "Troubleman", I had to use a little "Math", and actually got to "decide things" on the spot. Imagine that!

You're a Union Lineman Tamer. You get Prints and Job orders...It's all specified and writen down man. All ya do is "follow the Print, and build it as specified man". If you're doin trouble work...
    It don't take "Math" to replace a fuse.

LINEMEN, Always use their Brains. Problem is, nowdays...they don't need to much. "Just follow the Print, and the job order". "Thinkin"...is outside of "Contract".
    Wrong again Swamp, where I work the field techs ask us for suggestions, the go and draw it up. Must be the difference in building line in Florida and Arizona.
    Out here we still use our brains.
    It's not always from a print. We build it the way it works for us. Hell, we don't even have a spec. book!!

Ummmmmmmm agreed.......... Yanno when a young un asks a question like that anyone that would discourage him learning some math skills has jus got to be way outta touch with the times. Also somebody that would blindly follow a print aint exactly the kinda guy I would ever wanna work with or for.
    Maybe they build a whole different kinda electric in Florider.

Default Agreed as well

Even in a small distrubution co-op the staking could be wrong an angle missed and maybe some important info that the people doing it from the office do not know. Ya better be able to think correct the mistakes and not build a trap for the next guys. A lot of simple math comes in handy it also is pretty handy to have some common sence, and the gonads to question everybody if ya feel something aint right.
    And sorry Swamp all of us aint just construction monkeys, we are good at what we do and still take pride in our work and are here to teach some of the next generation to do the same!
    If you can build it you can fix it!

Ya'll sure are putting alot of smack on all us Florida hands, some of us will question things, and I don't think it's to much difference building lines wherever you go, you can either do it safely and efficiently or you can't.

Here's a simple math formula that you will use in this field. The square root of three.

120 x 1.73 = 208

How to find the phase to ground voltage of 34.5kv

34500 / 1.73 = 19900

I want to calculate the correct fuse size because I am working a different system voltage on a 25kva pot

25000 / 7200 = 3.472 x 1.5 (150 %) = 5.208

Round off to the next highest number and it equals 6.

You want to get fancy and determine the weight of a pole for loading and you happen to know the type of wood it is....you can do that to with a formula.

Here's the biggest thing thing you'll use math formulas. It's Ohm's Law.

Need to know how unbalanced my system is. Have 173 amps an A phase, 132 amps on B phase and only 76 amps on C phase. Assuming normal 120 degree phase shifting between phases, how much current is on the neutral?
    I don't give em hell, I just tell the truth and they think it is Hell! - Truman

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    But it helps to know how that is all worked out for when you suddenly have to. It's like saying you don't need to understand electrical theory, but it does actually help a lot.
    Yes you do have to know how it works & understand what you are dealing with, but day to day on the job we rarely use math.

[QUOTE=bren guzzi;121968]Ask poot he's got a "hang up" with bananas.

Basic maths ... If ya take 3 apples 5 grapes 9 oranges , 2 peaches. And of course a banana and add them together. What do ya get.. ??????

Well if ya mix em up with a little yogurt, vanilla and those little marshmellows ya get a pretty good fruit salad. . . . . .

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by rcdallas View Post
    Just because it says on the print to do this and do that that don't mean you follow it.

Here's an example.

Print calls to install a open wye open delta bank 120/240. The lighting pot calls to go on B phase and the power pot calls to go on A phase.

Sorry I'm not going to install it like that no matter what that print says. Does anyone know why?
    Have you ever had to switch feeds Like that RC? It can get interesting when the rotation shifts can't it?

Mr. Swamprat, I'm sorry but your post in this thread as so far from the truth for us here at CVEC it is sickly. We line are the engineers after hours when pole are broken, wire is down, and everything needs to be put back up ASAP!

We have to authority to build things as we need to in order to get the lights back on. We do this with in the real of reason. Many times we replace like with like but in our ever growing area more often than not we build for the future and for the convenience of the line that must do the work. After the lights are back on we are back at the shop filling out staking sheets, material sheets and often leaving engineers with notes sketches and any thing else that would be helpful for them to make changes to the mapping system.

Yeah we use math, some times ALOT of it.

I have yet to hear of an engineer turning down our after hour work here in Div III.

Work safely,

L.A.Martin
    Journeyman DivIII
    CVEC
    There's no such thing as "The End Of The Line!"

If you think you are worth what you know, you are very wrong. Your knowledge today does not have much value beyond a couple of years. Your value is what you can learn and how easily you can adapt to the changes this profession brings so often. -- Jose M. Aguilar