Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Best thing about being a lineman

Featured Sponsor

Hey guys list the top 5 best things and the tops 5 worst things about your career as outside lineman

Ummmmmmm Bestest
    sense of pride after restoring power in a storm
    Finding a nice fat paycheck waitin on ya
    Training an apprentice to become a standout
    satisfaction of overcoming insurmountable obstacles n get the job done
    Drinkin a beer or 10 with your fellow linemen
    Ummmmm werstest
    Being called out moments before yer kids birthday party starts
    Spending Christmas day humpin poles
    Seeing your working buddies get layed off
    Dealing with customers
    Having to extend a mans bad fortune by cuttin his lights off for non pay
    Last edited by Pootnaigle; 02-14-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Default best and worse

best......that sense of pride that Poot refered to
    nice paychecks......can afford a nice home....eating at nice places,ect
    teaching youngsters
    women........they love lineman
    working around danger
    meeting thousands of customers.....few beers with the guys after a long days work
    worst......away from family during holidays
    being threatened about call-outs......childish
    running out of vacation in the last part of the year.......if the weather goes south
    seeing people get promoted,when they dont deserve it
    seeing good workers get the axe

Default best an worse.

GOOD

1 all the travel
    2 the work mates
    3 overcoming adversity
    4 pride in doing a good job
    5 doing something that not many could handle

BAD

1 being away from home and loved ones.
    2 weather
    3 dealing with Bull.
    4 long days and nights
    5 why are all the poles uphill from the road. ?
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Best

1. Being able to work outside especially in spring and fall

2. getting good enough at your work to come up with a solution and make it work

3. Putting the power on and having the customers cheer the good deed.

4. Working with a great partner who knows what your up to and you know what they'll do and getting the job done right, safe and quick especially in cold cold weather.

5. Driving past lines you helped construct and seeing how straight and clean the line looks.

5a. The pay was great too.

Worst

1. Having a buddy injured or worse doing this work.

2. Having to follow up on another dudes job because he's not doing what needs to be done.

3. Working weird shifts, weekends, Birthdays and Holidays away from family.

4. Waiting for the dispatcher to call back with switching orders when the customers are banging on your truck window wanting to know when the power will be back on.

5. Going to car pole accidents and finding the driver is still in the vehicle all messed up and the FD/PD wanting the power off before they can get them out.

Default Sorry to kinda go off topic

This thread and the responses about pride and getting people back in power reminded me of a story, I believe, I read here. About a lineman who was working and a little boy home sick was watching everything that was going on... wish I could remember the whole story. It was a great story and a bit of a tear jerker and really showed how great it can be being a lineman.

Default if you find it

Quote Originally Posted by aviewfrom View Post
    This thread and the responses about pride and getting people back in power reminded me of a story, I believe, I read here. About a lineman who was working and a little boy home sick was watching everything that was going on... wish I could remember the whole story. It was a great story and a bit of a tear jerker and really showed how great it can be being a lineman.
    Let us know if you find that story......Id like to read it..and Im sure the other people here will like to read it too....................t-Man brought back a funny memory.............people coming up to your window while your on the radio,and writing down a switching order.............they knock.....and knock.............like they cant see that your busy.

Umm or the Ones that stand in their driveway and get all upset when they see you stop at the linefuse That you know darn well hasta be blown from the number of calls and continually motion you to Comere , The transformer is in my back yard kinda crap.. Or the sweet lil ole lady who listens to every word you say, gets it All WRONG and then , screams bluddy murder when an unscupulous narrowback rips her off. Or the experts that see a pole leaning slightly and are positive its gonna fall directly on their house in mere moments, very often the folks scared to death because a cable tv drop is hanging within reach of their 19 yr old kid.
    A great many of the things these people want repaired immediately I would also like fixed But the simple truth is You know dern well it aint likely to happen soon if ever,
    If you dont understand it, when you are driving that Company truck YOU are the power company as far as those customers are concerned, and they aint cuttin you no slack. Little do they realize That your stroke often aint as great as theirs

2) Always a sense of satisfacion seeing something started and completed
    3) I mostly worked with great guys
    4) Always liked the adrenelin during storm restoration
    5) Nice to do work others don't understand
    DISLIKES
    1) Patrolling a line at night through a pasture that keeps the largest herd of Bison east of the Mississippi.
    2) Meetings just for meetings sake
    3) Using an uninsulated ladder truck with electric controls as a bucket (truck is long gone)
    4) Not being able to work for a week because of a bad case of poison ivy
    5) Working with a guy that worked harder at getting out of work that just doing it
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    Let us know if you find that story......Id like to read it..and Im sure the other people here will like to read it too....................t-Man brought back a funny memory.............people coming up to your window while your on the radio,and writing down a switching order.............they knock.....and knock.............like they cant see that your busy.
    I found it but it was on another website I won't post here, but if you want to read it PM me and I'll give you the link. Warn you though it's more of a tear jerker than I remembered.