Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

If the word gets out that your just doing this to make good money and get through school while your working with a line crew they are going to come down hard on you for it. From the way you talk on this thread it seems like your skin might not be thick enough to handle this line of work. Its like this, you think in your head this fantasy of being out of your moms house and making great money while you pursue being an x-ray tech. It will not be the way you think it will. I promise you that. Another thing is you should get out of your moms house and learn to live on $1500 - $2000 a month anyway. You will learn a lot of life lessons that way, and you can do it, and should. IF you spend 10k on lineschool then get a job at PG&E you will be taking a job from someone who REALLY TRULY wanted and/or needed it, and there will be many people who will be pissed that you took that chance away from someone because they used to be that person desperately trying to get in. Its like this, there are "jobs" to get you through school, and there are "careers". Being a lineman is a career, not a "get me through school job". If you want that get a job at a grocery store, walmart ect. another thing is your not going to have much energy left after a day of real work on a linecrew to go learn at school. Plus your going to have schedule conflicts. Your school may have a class from 6-9pm, but a storm came in and PG&E sends you 200 miles away to work that storm for 3 weeks. Another point to ponder, if you think that the reaction on this forum to your plan is harsh at all, if your even slightly offended, just wait till you get on a line crew.

2. Default

Let me tell why I want to be a linesman and what im doing to make that happen.

I want to be a linesman because I want to do something I am proud of. I want help my community and
    make sure they're comfortable. Power is necessary for everything. Hospital's, police stations, water treatment plants etc.

I want to make a difference.

I am calling contractors to see if they're hiring appeentices. No? OK what should I do that would make you want. To hire me? ---he names 3 things.

Get my truck license. Contractors want to make sure you're not totally useless.
    Although of utilities want. You to have high school physics. So at 35, I am doing it. At home myself.
    I am calling calling calling people and companies trying to get an apprenticeship. Non stop.

I am PM'ing thebguys here and they're giving me a world of info. Who is should talk to etc.

I have no idea what the dental plan or pay is. That's not important to me right now.

Go be an xray technician.

3. Default

And to add, when I see crews on the street or in coffee shops, I pull over, get out of my car and ask them everything. Why, how, their love for it etc.

That is all....

Default we are very harsh

I think we should cut the guy some slack. He's young and not sure which way in life he wants to go.

I wasn't sure when I started this game wether it was right for me either.

Its a big decision and needs thinking about. "Nice to have a choice" and maybe a few guys are jelous.

But this job is full of people who claim to know more than they actually DO !

What's the harm in asking a civil Question ???????? BROTHERS !
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

But an X-ray technician? Why? It doesn't sound like a terribly exciting job. Not unless he wants to see lots of lady bits.

To be honest? I think he should keep his career options open. If he's only considering linework because he's heard there's good cash and dental insurance then maybe he needs to research it a bit more.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default You can just get your own xray machine.

I have less than $100.00 into mine and can pretty much xray anything I need to.

But its not something I fire up all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIJo5...0&feature=plcp
    Last edited by RadonHuffer; 03-05-2012 at 03:08 PM.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SMUD View Post
    If the word gets out that your just doing this to make good money and get through school while your working with a line crew they are going to come down hard on you for it. From the way you talk on this thread it seems like your skin might not be thick enough to handle this line of work. Its like this, you think in your head this fantasy of being out of your moms house and making great money while you pursue being an x-ray tech. It will not be the way you think it will. I promise you that. Another thing is you should get out of your moms house and learn to live on $1500 - $2000 a month anyway. You will learn a lot of life lessons that way, and you can do it, and should. IF you spend 10k on lineschool then get a job at PG&E you will be taking a job from someone who REALLY TRULY wanted and/or needed it, and there will be many people who will be pissed that you took that chance away from someone because they used to be that person desperately trying to get in. Its like this, there are "jobs" to get you through school, and there are "careers". Being a lineman is a career, not a "get me through school job". If you want that get a job at a grocery store, walmart ect. another thing is your not going to have much energy left after a day of real work on a linecrew to go learn at school. Plus your going to have schedule conflicts. Your school may have a class from 6-9pm, but a storm came in and PG&E sends you 200 miles away to work that storm for 3 weeks. Another point to ponder, if you think that the reaction on this forum to your plan is harsh at all, if your even slightly offended, just wait till you get on a line crew.
    ok guy first of all i dont appreciate you telling me im weak because of how i been talking on here. ive been doing back breaking work since before and after high school why do u think i even considered linemen work? dont you think i know how physically hard it is? thats why i didnt ask if its hard, i know it is. hard work doesnt scare me. as for what people on the forum are saying, its no dust on my shoulders. some of u are being borderline rude but your not stepping outa line to where im offended.

big clive, i agree with you bro. im not really interested in linemen or x rays but im thinking more along the lines of, whats a job thats going to be needed even when this country crumbles that doesnt take too much schooling. because i dont know about every where else but, financial aid for college is getting less every yr while the colleges classes get more expensive.

Yea well.... that's another thing, get ready to be hounded, hassled, yelled at, and offended daily as a groundman when you mess up, which will def. happen....think of boot camp in a sense.

Default yea let the apprentices talk to him

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    I think we should cut the guy some slack. He's young and not sure which way in life he wants to go.

I wasn't sure when I started this game wether it was right for me either.

Its a big decision and needs thinking about. "Nice to have a choice" and maybe a few guys are jelous.

But this job is full of people who claim to know more than they actually DO !

What's the harm in asking a civil Question ???????? BROTHERS !
    I agree Bren.........lets let some guys his age give their advice.

Featured Sponsorr

If you think that they are being "borderline rude" then try having someone screaming in your face for 2 or three years and taking it on the chin with a good atitude. its tough man you got to have some rhino skin, but they do because they dont want to see you get hurt and so you wont forget the lessons. you tend to remember things better when someone beats it into rather than someone saying it "Borderline polite". but keep looking and keep researching things you will find something thats suits you good luck man.