Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default I'm working for Pike and wanna go union

Featured Sponsor

Ive been working for Pike in Indiana for exactly one month today, as a Class C Im from Illinois, I went to line school, I have my Class A CDL, My question is what do I need to get in to the union as soon as possible? I have a union hall #702 about an hour from my house and I know i should go over there and sign the books, I just dont wanna feel like im wasting my time. My crew is unsafe here, my second day on the job they tried sending me up in the hot wires by myself... that wasn't gonna happen.. I don't wanna quit until I have something else in line, I LOVE LIFEWORK but I don't wanna die from it..

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler1 View Post
    Ive been working for Pike in Indiana for exactly one month today, as a Class C Im from Illinois, I went to line school, I have my Class A CDL, My question is what do I need to get in to the union as soon as possible? I have a union hall #702 about an hour from my house and I know i should go over there and sign the books, I just dont wanna feel like im wasting my time. My crew is unsafe here, my second day on the job they tried sending me up in the hot wires by myself... that wasn't gonna happen.. I don't wanna quit until I have something else in line, I LOVE LIFEWORK but I don't wanna die from it..
    Go to the hall and talk with them, you won't know if it was a waste of time unless you check. Sign the book as a groundman. Good luck. Also, you might check with Duke and see if they are hiring. I've met a few guys who worked for Pike that were hired into Duke.

Default i appriciate itt

I appreciate the advice! I wish their was a quick way to getting in but then it wouldn't be union lol

I appreciate the advice! I wish their was a quick way to getting in but then it wouldn't be union lol

I got called for work 3 times in one month after 4 months of signing the local books here, and 10 days after starting to sign a book in northern CA. Don't be so quick to assume.

Default It doesnt hurt to try.

I plan on going to the hall Friday on my day off, Im just unsure what to expect, Im bad about jumping to conclusions on things and it doesn't help anything, again I appreciate the words of advice!

What is a class C lineman? If you are saying that you have been in the trade for a month after coming out of line school, there is no way you are any where near qualified to be working hot by your self. Does your state have any guidelines for your apprentice ship regarding what you can & can not do?

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

Where in Indiana you working? Pm me I might be able to help ya. Just be ready to travel.

There are alot of different apprenticship all over the country that are union call them all and see when there taking applications for apps good luck man I hope you are able to get away from pike and learn how to be a lineman the right way the union way
    IF YOU AIN'T IN YOUR TOOLS DON'T CHANGE THE RULES...BOYCOTT THE BUCKSQEEZE

Why is the Union so small in the South

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by ntxhand View Post
    Why is the Union so small in the South
    I'll take this one guys.
    Because everything is slow down here. We are atleast 100 yrs behind times.

Of course I'm kidding. Kinda. Sorta. Many states in the south are Right-to-Work states.