Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: skin a cat

Default skin a cat

Featured Sponsor

There are loads of ways to skin a cat.
    How would you guys tackle this problem ?
    The pole on the right is rotten. You can get a tracked bucket truck to the poles. The line is dead. No cranes or hoist to lift any thing. The bucket can only lift "a man" ... SO how do ya change the pole on the right. Not a great pic but its an intermediate pole ( straight through). We've a digger to take the old pole down and put the new one up. I know how we do it. what about you guys. ????????????
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Default I would set the new pole first.

Even if it was off the original structure a bit in the end, Then I would tie the old broken pole to the new one for a while till I was sure it was safe and to take pressure off the steel frame work and cross arm.

The hard part is over IMHO.

Default no presure. :)

While your doing that ........ We would have changed it out.

Have changed one in less than an hour. ( 47 minutes. ).

I will let ya guys work it out. Time for. Zzzzzzzzzz up here.

Default Video is Manditory.

Ya I bet it could be done. I am use to building new.
    So I would play safe like dropping an old farm Silo.

I would love to see how its done.

Ummmmm set new pole as close as possible to bad un.chain em together, drop right side conductor to make the arm manageable, detach the arm and bracing from bad pole ,use a comealong if necessary between the 2 good poles to move new pole to where the thru bolt will align and restab arm.Reattach outside conductor,cut the old pole out in sections or fall it down the line, reattach bracing, and have me a bananna

Default nah !

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Ummmmm set new pole as close as possible to bad un.chain em together, drop right side conductor to make the arm manageable, detach the arm and bracing from bad pole ,use a comealong if necessary between the 2 good poles to move new pole to where the thru bolt will align and restab arm.Reattach outside conductor,cut the old pole out in sections or fall it down the line, reattach bracing, and have me a bananna
    Sorry poot.( Your right about the banana though.). If ya did that the arm would be out of twist. Gotta put the new pole where the old one was.
    Ya could have done it by now.

Changed hundres of these single rotten poles in a H pole set. Got it down ... Pity we are changing both of these or I'd do it an show ya pics. But I will explain in the morning.

Nite ... ZzzzZzzzZzzzz......

Default Dang Pootnaigle that is a perfect discription.

My 12 year old has been watching this puzzle and even he likes it.

Dropping the right conductor would take off lots of weight so would all those bells.

I am so use to rotten cross arms my thinking is they mostly get changed out but that could vary with geography?

Default maybe

How about taking the guy wires (stays) off the right pole and temporaly attach to arm on left side. Unbolt X bracing, and crossarm, and pull old pole and set new pole reattach crossarm and X bracing and guy wires. Then go home.
    If you can build it you can fix it!

Ummmmmmmm I suspect that Arm is angle iron or sumpin similar........ not wood. I am absolutely not seeing a twist of any kind happening to the arm.

Featured Sponsorr

drop the outside phase on the right side down to the ground. I'm asuming the spans are far enough apart that it will reach the ground or close to it. Move middle phase to good pole and tie it there. Undo hardware pull old pole. Set new pole fasten hardware to new pole move middle phase back put outside phase back up. The other outside phase will help hold the arm level.