Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Driving Record

Default Driving Record

Featured Sponsor

I'm worried my driving record is gonna f- me over..again. It already did for my chance at the big utility here. Now I work rat but am trying to go Union. The work is here and I have all the right stuff line-school, Cdl, and some experience but I have a few tickets. Not a whole lot but enough for some. The hall never asked me about driving but i hear the hiring company may or may not. The job coming up is for H&M anybody know how strict they are? I mean I don't know what to do. If i take the job I'll have to move to the other side of Texas and am putting all my eggs in this basket and am ready to quit but I don't want to quit and have no chance of job chance beacuse of stupid speeding tickets. Why is it like this now days? I mean I'm trying to make something of myself just had a heavy foot in the past and it's all that holds me back

Ummmm I really doubt that will ever come into play with a contractor.The utilities are very strict about it.The only way they would ever find out is if they checked your driving record and I am not sure they can legally do that without cause, nor do I think they would spend a dime to find out .They only care that you have a Valid CDL.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Ummmm I really doubt that will ever come into play with a contractor.The utilities are very strict about it.The only way they would ever find out is if they checked your driving record and I am not sure they can legally do that without cause, nor do I think they would spend a dime to find out .They only care that you have a Valid CDL.
    Even big contractors like Henkels?

Ummmmmm yep even them,They hafta take the people that are sent to them by the local union It is not uncommon to find one or two that have run afoul of the law in the past, and have criminal records So I would think that a bad driving record wont have much if any effect. I certainly wouldnt just volunteer that Information.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Ummmmmm yep even them,They hafta take the people that are sent to them by the local union It is not uncommon to find one or two that have run afoul of the law in the past, and have criminal records So I would think that a bad driving record wont have much if any effect. I certainly wouldnt just volunteer that Information.
    I hope so thanks for the insight

And when Poot says don't even volunteer the information he really means do NOT bring up the subject. Just behave as if you have no past offences at all. If you do enquire about something like that, then that is when they will start checking. In fact, don't even mention it to coworkers in case one of them spreads it around. Not that speeding is a major offence. In fact it gives a few of the guys here some free overtime when poles get in the way of the speeding cars.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

I can't speak for other utilities but the one I worked at was tuff on a bad driving record. . .they were sure to check before you got the job. If somehow you could get past that and they found out you covered it up (ie. got a ticket too close to being hired and it wasn't in the records yet)you were gone. The Union had no grounds to save you. The way the Utility looked at it is there was a big pool of people who wanted the work so the ones with poor driving records got thrown back (catch and relaese) It's sad when you see a good hand with all the right stuff get turned down because they either had a questionable driving record or some conviction for Drugs or alcohol. It's real important to keep your nose clean in this respect.

If you got hired with a clean record then later in your employment you got a ticket you had to report it ASAP. On the first offense you could ride out the loss of your CDL, but if someone in your garage was already serving the same fate you couldn't be the second person riding so you were let go. If you got a second offense you had a heck of a time keeping your job even with union backing if at all.

That outfit set a standard and stuck to it

I think most major utiliities are like that T man. Contractors however are a different ballgame.

Yes ,some contractors just want a body......sombody willing to do a good job..........some dont even want to hear about that small stuff.............they want production..............but it is wise to try and keep a good driving record...................Ive seen one that hired lots of guys,the only thing wrong was most of the guys had warrants for their arrest...............and the contractor cant do $hit about that.

Default Why is everyone requiring a CDL-A

Featured Sponsorr

My CDL-B is fine for a digger or a bucket. I had My A many years ago for running Sugar beets I never thought I would need it so I Slipped down to a B.