Thread: Long Lining

Default Long Lining

Featured Sponsor

Who's done it? is it done very often?

Quote Originally Posted by ntxhand View Post
    Who's done it? is it done very often?
    All of the Vietnam era helicopter pilots are retiring. The finest chopper pilots ever trained. They were the ones who could hover the skid so you could step off a chopper with confidence, anywhere, on anything. The new breed hangs a 50' tether and kind of pendulums you in to place. Keeps the chopper away from things that will go crunch in the rotors. It can be a pretty wild ride depending on the pilot.

Default I did it.

I did it for around 2 years... The National grid still only long line.

Can be fun.... When you spend the night in the hotel and "annoy the pilot"

He "Dunked us in a lake on the way back to the landing point".
    THAT WILL teach ya BREN. """".
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Could have been worse. He could have dunked you, dragged you through a barbed wire fence, dragged you through an electric fence, dragged you through gorse and thistles then landed you in a field with a bull in it.

I have to admit that long lining is one thing I REALLY want to try. Particularly with a reckless pilot who flies at speed.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

born in raised in Ohio, Lineman on the road in California and wherever storms take me

Featured Sponsorr

It is pretty fun, beats the crap out of hiking into a tower then climbing it. Best bet it's to get on a big high line job going through some mountains where there is not very good access. It doesn't happen a ton but if you are wrong to travel you should be able to do it. I did out on the current job I am on in southern Cali.