Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Default The Old Lineman

Featured Sponsor

As a lineman, who worked both sides of the border and have worked coast to coast I am still unable to grasp why a lineman working one place from another doing the exact same work has to abide by different rules.
    As an example, look at the auto industry . Some vehicles had placed seat belts in the rear seats and some didn't.Some put in air bags others hesitated.
    That situation was finally rectified when the government stepped in and made hard and fast criteria that all had to follow.
    I'm not in favor of the government controlling everything but our industry seems unable or unwilling to grab the bull by the horns and come together for the protection of our brothers.
    This is a sorry state of affairs.
    The Old Lineman

Poot is quite correct, these accidents happen way too often, we need to be concerned and do everything we can to make the trade better for all of us. Not one of us here want to continue reading about these incidents and I do not think it is Monday morning quarterbacking, we just want to help save the lives of fellow lineman. None of us know all the facts , and we probably never will but at least we can offer up opinions and advice based on our own experiences. Some issues stand out like a sore thumb, for example not using rubber gloves when needed. One thing that has stuck in my mind. The manufacturers of rbds do not recommend pulling poles with the boom, they say a pole jack must be used. Now before anyone jumps on my back, I'm guilty of usuing the boom too, the reasons can be as stupid as not having a jack available, and we all just want to get the job done, especially us contractors. We have to constantly police ourselves and take the time to teach the younger crowd the safest way to get things done, but it doesn't hurt to teach alternative methods as long as safety comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Highplains Drifter View Post
    Folks this is a typical management tool, to scrutinize an accident. He was not there and does not know how many people where on that crew. The rules for a hot crew vary from company to company not his and he really needs reread Fiberglass Cowboy’s post..
    Every crew is required to perform a tailboard discussion before begining a job. (Call it what you want we call it a tailboard) When discussing the hazards of the job I don't see how you can not discuss that something could happen that would require additional employees to handle the pole. That requires, in this case, that the employee would have rubber gloves available. Tell all of us where that would not make sense.

And welcome back to the Top-Rated, most visited, Lineman's site on the internet!
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

I have made it a standard practice on my crew that EVERYONE has rubber gloves. It doesn't matter what classification you are or what step you are. You may have to help control a pole or be on the dead end of a cable handling task in which the other end is in a hot piece of equipment.

A linehand not having rubber gloves is like a hooker not having a hoo hoo.

I agree that our industry needs to standardize it's safety rules but not with gov't help. We'd really be screwed!

C

Quote Originally Posted by cololinehand View Post
    I have made it a standard practice on my crew that EVERYONE has rubber gloves. It doesn't matter what classification you are or what step you are. You may have to help control a pole or be on the dead end of a cable handling task in which the other end is in a hot piece of equipment.

A linehand not having rubber gloves is like a hooker not having a hoo hoo.

I agree that our industry needs to standardize it's safety rules but not with gov't help. We'd really be screwed!

C
    You mean every employee does not have there own rubber gloves? Every apprentice from day 1 as well as every lineman is issued a pair of class 2 & class 4 gloves. That does not mean that the apps will be doing live line work before they have progressed through there apprenticeship.

Default Do you mean linemantoolbox?

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    Why don't you just stay over on your own, pompus, little website, driftboy... with tg, and all your Mob, and... with your creater, the canadian.

Ya left dude, along with all your union buds. Why you feel you gotta run your mouth here and try to stir sh$t anymore? You and the glass Cowboy... Just can't help but play "F-F", can ya.

Go play in your toolbox driftboy, and leave the site ya Left, alone.
    Are you talking about linemantoolbox Swamp?

It's a great site, just a lot of lineman that differ from things on this site.

I don't post much here anymore due to the baiting and bad mouthing that I see continues here.
    Last edited by hotwiretamer; 04-07-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Ummmmmmmmm This thread has gone off topic.......... we needa either get it back on track or let it die a natural death

This thread has turned into a fine example of the trouble that happened in the past. Kinda ironic that the original flamers are back on the thread taking Swampys bait again.

Totally disrespectful for the guy that died.

Lets end the *****ing on this thread right now.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default so it goes

A fraction of a second is a very long time when your talking about electricity. It is very quick.

Over your carreer you will make many instinctive, almost "involuntary" moves. I once saw this with my own two eyes. We were going up to replace a blown arrestor on an underground three phase dip.. We were all rubbered up and had some blankets with us and all and when we got up there, one of the UG stress cones, terminators... potheads... whatever the hell they are, was bent kinda funny. Everything is hot. The other guy in the bucket reached out and grabbed the cable with one hand and the hot end of the stress cone in the other and bent it strainght in the blink of an eye with no warning or coment.... My heart fell into my stomach... Once he realised what he had just done his face was ashen... we just kinda stood there for a few seconds and gathered out thoughts. The Foreman didn't see it.. Kinda close huh? And this was a good lineman. He spent his whole carreer at it. It was just one of those things.

My point is, when this kind of thing happens it is the procedure that will save you.. you are never in a situation where your instinctive move will cost you if you can help it..

I have decided to go ahead and post what I think now and then.

Because of recent events I have come to realise that it doesn't matter if I stay out of it or not.... I am going to get drug in.. So, here I am.

bd
    Last edited by lineman; 04-07-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    This thread has turned into a fine example of the trouble that happened in the past. Kinda ironic that the original flamers are back on the thread taking Swampys bait again.

Totally disrespectful for the guy that died.

Lets end the *****ing on this thread right now.
    It IS totally Disrecpectful.

For a Big guy like you Clivester...you got a short memory man. "Swampy's Bait"?

let me remind you big boy...of the post that started ME EVEN commentin in this thread. You another one that seems to want to put Sh$t on me. Not a problem man...stand in line.

You don't even know what they say, and have said about "narrowbacks" like you on this LINEMANS board...and yet they Love havin EL, a glorified meter reader on their board. I guess they don't know the meaning of the word Hypocricy.

This Board is Not just a Linemans Board. Union Or Non.

It incorporates all aspects of our trade, and all are welcome who are in the electrical trade, and have something to share electrically, as you most certainly do. And ALWAYS have been.

Anyway big boy....Here's the post that "Started" the disintergration of this thread. Notice? It wasen't "Swampy". But you think what ya want Clivester.
    All the "people" that left this board are tryin to do, is come back ON THIS board and aggitate and aggrivate.
    Says "Alot" Big boy...says alot....
    Make up your own mind..... Read the last line....

Ananlyzing...

His friend/pole buddy was in trouble because the chain/sling was hooked too high. Either not pushed up high enough or not judged correctly, or the pole was cut too high in the air and the guys on the ground weren't expecting it. WHATEVER THE CASE; DO NOT CONTINUE TO MONDAY-MORNING-QUARTERBACK THIS YOUNG MAN'S DECISION TO RUN AND HELP HIS BUDDY WHO REALIZED THE POLE WAS TOO HEAVY FOR HIM TO HANDLE BY HIMSELF. WE SOMETIMES GET A SPLIT SECOND TO MAKE A DECISION THAT OTHERS HAVE DAYS, WEEKS, MONTHS AND EVEN YEARS TO PICK APART AND ANALYZE. NO ONE IS PERFECT. REMEMBER THAT. I AM UNION, AND I AM WELL EDUCATED IN THE BUSINESS. BEEN CLIMBING POLES SINCE I WAS 18 YEARS OLD. I AM HERE TO TELL YOU ALL, THAT EVERYONE AND ANYONE CAN/WILL MAKE MISTAKES. IT IS SAD AND VERY UNFORTUNATE, THAT IN THE PROCESS OF IMMEDIATELY HELPING HIS FELLOW LINEMAN/WORKER; HE WAS KILLED IN THE "HEAT OF BATTLE", - IF YOU WILL.

THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS TO THIS YOUNG MAN'S FAMILY.

!!! TO ALL OF YOU HALF-ASSED LINEMAN THAT MONDAY-MORNING-QUARTERBACK THE REPORTS OF DEATHS OF LINEMEN ON THIS SAFETY BOARD: YOU ARE NOT PERFECT. NON OF US ARE. KNOCK OFF YOUR ANALYZING B.S. - CUT THE $HIT ALREADY. IT'S NO WONDER ALL OF THE GOOD AND KNOWLEDGEABLE, INTELLIGENT UNION HANDS LEFT THIS SITE FOR ANOTHER SITE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Fiberglass Cowboy; 04-04-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    Last edited by Swamprat; 04-07-2012 at 10:05 PM.