Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    Just because you believe a line can't become energised doesn't mean it won't. All it takes is some random incident anywhere along it's length and suddenly there are dead people.

Better to make it a habit than die through complacency.

How many linemen have died over the past few years in the UK Bren? I don't think it's that many. The bulk of any deaths will be with the "facilities management" companies using cheap ill-trained labour to get their finger into another lucrative pie.
    Exactly & that is why equal potential grounding is the only grounding that will protect you if the line is accidently energized.

2. Default these totally work

hi guys,just to get my word in here to what lewwy was questioning if these clip on earths would work in an emergancy,trust me they do.me an the rest of my gang where on a fault (11kv +25mm copper) when the f*cker of an engineer got ordered to close an airbrake on another part of the line and as you can GUESS what happened next eh,he only went and closed the wrong 1 and the only way we new what had happened is when the line snapped two span from were we wher and the line hit the deck(these clip on earths did save my ass and another two of my guys)and this was a sse job bren

Default phew !!!!

Bet he wasn't sacked either. ?

That's what they are there for. . Never had it happen to me in over 30 years. "TOUCH WOOD".
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

I'm sure glad no one got hurt out of that incident. Did anybody have hands on the conductor at the time? I hope not. The point I am making is if you were hands on at that exact moment there would be a potential difference between your hands and your feet, possibly going across your heart then you would probably need your defibralator. That pole bond I keep mentioning would eliminate that potential difference. With the type of grounds you use you could easily add one more ground and attach it to a pole band just below your feet. I'm thinking it would help in the event of a lightning strike too.

5. Default earths

aye bren,the engeineer wasnt sacked(nearly got his lights p*nched out tho),turns out both airbrakes had simler names eg hill farm and hill house.after the investigation it all got brushed under the carpet(prob coz the board was at fault).im like you mate never had this happen in 19yrs of line work so it just gose to show that when faults come it pays to have an engineer of the old scool with you rather then some uni,training school prat that gets tyerd after 10 hours eh.still we live to climb again

every days an adventure in linework

http://www.hubbellpowersystems.com/l...dia-grounding/

Bren, you might want to look at this. Particularly section 7

7. Default

Coming from the same lands as Bren we dont bond our Circuit Main Earths /additional earths to the pole we're working on either. Unless there is an earth on it already thats when we would directly connect our earths to it! to keep everthing at the same potential

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHWEST LINEY View Post
    Coming from the same lands as Bren we dont bond our Circuit Main Earths /additional earths to the pole we're working on either. Unless there is an earth on it already thats when we would directly connect our earths to it! to keep everthing at the same potential
    You should, you want the pole & hardware at the same potential as the conductors & in order to do that you have to bond the pole to any one of the conductors.

9. Default

yer mate i agree with what you guys are saying, gonna have a word with the boss and see what he says Monday!

Featured Sponsorr

Bren we use the same as you, clip on's and screw on's ( the laatter can be a pain in the ass). Ours all come to a common earth tail which we connect to a known earth or if none around a similar earth stake to your's driven in a min 600mm.

Seen Clip on's have been put on with tel-o-pole can be a tad weighty with all three on the end .