Default Ever notice how many people are online?

Featured Sponsor

It's pretty amazing how many people are on this site at any time. No wonder this site get's advertisers.
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

Default imagine

Imagine how many there would be if I stoped posting rubbish. ( At least double)
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

And I wish more of them had Canadian offices. I tried to get a patent anchor pounder a while back, it had to come from the US and it would have taken 10 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    And I wish more of them had Canadian offices. I tried to get a patent anchor pounder a while back, it had to come from the US and it would have taken 10 weeks.
    More of WHO had "canadian offices"?

As for an "anchor Pounder"...I could have been RICH many, many, many, many years ago, when I built one of those. Just never patented it.

Welded 3, Solid steel, 2", 2 ft pieces of Round steel together. Welded that to a 4 ft. Steel 1" pipe. On the other end, welded a one foot, 2" piece of round steel, and welded another 1 Ft. of Steel pipe to that.

We'd sink the groundrod as far as we could, then bring out the "Driver". The only problem was gettin it up on the groundrod. Da$n thing was..."Heavy". Once ya got it up, ya just pushed it up and Dropped it, over and over, the weight of the device, drove the Rod. Then ya took it off, turned it over, and finished drivin the Rod down.

What "patented" anchor pounder were you tryin to get...or Order?

This is what is available Nowdays. Wish I had a picture of the one I made. Is this what you were trying to "order"?? And...you're not happy because it's not available in Canada??

This post should probably be in the Linework Thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Swamprat; 04-11-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    More of WHO had "canadian offices"?

As for an "anchor Pounder"...I could have been RICH many, many, many, many years ago, when I built one of those. Just never patented it.

Welded 3, Solid steel, 2", 2 ft pieces of Round steel together. Welded that to a 4 ft. Steel 1" pipe. On the other end, welded a one foot, 2" piece of round steel, and welded another 1 Ft. of Steel pipe to that.

We'd sink the groundrod as far as we could, then bring out the "Driver". The only problem was gettin it up on the groundrod. Da$n thing was..."Heavy". Once ya got it up, ya just pushed it up and Dropped it, over and over, the weight of the device, drove the Rod. Then ya took it off, turned it over, and finished drivin the Rod down.

What "patented" anchor pounder were you tryin to get...or Order?

This is what is available Nowdays. Wish I had a picture of the one I made. Is this what you were trying to "order"?? And...you're not happy because it's not available in Canada??

This post should probably be in the Linework Thread.
    I thought that what you showed a picture of was a steel t-post driver for fence work, I've always used wood fence posts, so I have never had need for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    I thought that what you showed a picture of was a steel t-post driver for fence work, I've always used wood fence posts, so I have never had need for one.
    Actually, I thought rob was talkin bout a groundrod driver. Years later, the one I pictured was what we had on the trucks for backlot ground rods.

I wonder if he was talkin about a "Molly Buster" for a bust anchor.

Now that could be what you call them, a bust anchor, we call them patent anchors here, the ones you drop in the hole and then spread them open to take a bite in the ground. As for a ground rod driver , the manual ones we have are 2 piece, but we prefer the hydraulic ones. More commonly known as a jack hammer!

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    Now that could be what you call them, a bust anchor, we call them patent anchors here, the ones you drop in the hole and then spread them open to take a bite in the ground. As for a ground rod driver , the manual ones we have are 2 piece, but we prefer the hydraulic ones. More commonly known as a jack hammer!
    "Jackhammer".

Ain't THAT a "No Sh$t" for groundrods?
    Hydraulic. Used em alot. But..."Backlot"...not so much. Used what I posted a picture of.

And Yes Rob, that's exactly the type of anchor I was talkin about. The "Tool" we called for "Bustin" em open, was a "Molly Buster". Slid down around the Groundrod, and ya just kept Poundin the Sh$ out of it till the anchor was flattened out. AND, ya knew when it was, by the sound.

We called em "Bust" Anchors.
    Honestly? I didn't think anybody was usein them anymore. Unless ya filled the hole with Rocks and sh$t. Seriously? You still use them puppies? I haven't seen those in use in 30 years. Do you use the "Anchor Auger" hand digger too? What a pain in the a$$ that thing was....

As of 5 years ago, when I was still workin Linework, we use to take a Single Helix Anchor, dig a 1-2 foot hole, put the Helix anchor in the hole, get two guys with a "Frost Bar", a 6' steel 1" thick Rod... and one guy on a Sledge hammer. The guy on the "hammer"...just kept "Tappin", and after 10-15 min. The Helix anchor was screwed down and set. Then ya tamp the hole, and pull your Guy.

Featured Sponsorr

Thanks Swampy. Actually we used to rarely use bust anchors until we started using sucker trucks to dig our pole holes, so we used them to dig our anchor holes too! That meant we had to go back to bust anchors. Reminds me of the time I worked in Connecticut. The project was a reliability upgrade ( really an ongoing rebuild) . The crew I was on would go ahead and set all the poles and anchors. 3 journeyman and 1 apprentice. One day the foreman sent 2 journeymen to another job leaving me and the apprentice. " I'll come show you how to set poles today". The circuit was 2 phases delta, can't remember the voltage, #6 copper. The first pole , he didn't want any cover up (takes too long) , he jammed the pole into one phase pushing it about 2 feet sideways. So I had a chat with the apprentice about what to do when he tore a phase down. Strangely we got through the morning. Just before lunch we set a corner pole , then went ahead screwing in 2 new anchors. First anchor went ok. The second anchor, as you can imagine, we reached in under the telephone, and got the kelly bar ready to go, he boomed up to the telephone but we needed 1 more inch. Next thing I hear is the truck running full bore, I yell to watch the phase, when I yelled the apprentice dropped and ran, good thing too, because the boom ended up very hard on the telephone and into the field phase. Less than 1 span to a set of line fuses. Would of killed the apprentice. Remember 2 phases delta. Once he brought the boom back down, I was not very polite about telling him what I thought and then I told him to go play foreman somewhere else, me and the apprentice were better off alone. That was 6 or 7 years ago. Since then here at home we mostly use bust anchors and the odd screw-in.