Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FR Clothing

1. Default FR Clothing

Featured Sponsor

I was wondering what FR clothing policy and procedures are where yall work. Do they supply them all? Do they give you a uniform allowance? They gave us 7 pants and 7 shirts that are ours to keep, but they are the cheaper 52 wash and no good kind. Next month they are starting to give us a uniform allowance. $250 a year for us and $450 a year for new hires that didnt get to keep the ones from the uniform service. Whats standard and what do you all do or get? And do yall belive in Nomex???

We get $530.00 a year for FR clothing and that's about enough to get 5 shirts and 5 pair of pants from Tyndale. $250.00 ain't gonna get much in my opinion.

3. Default Fr

so if thy are not nomex they wear out after so many washes? even the ones from tydale. what company you work for lineman north florida???

Ummmmmmmm all of it including nomex or treated cotton deteriorates each time it is washed. Its further degraded if you wash it along with your other clothing, so do not mix it.
    250$ will just about buy you a FR jacket. A rule of thumb is 100$ for a shirt and pants.

Quote Originally Posted by mptree1 View Post
    so if thy are not nomex they wear out after so many washes? even the ones from tydale. what company you work for lineman north florida???
    I work for a municipality here in Fla. How about you? I have 2 different kinds from Tyndale, 1 is the Tyndale brand and the other is Carhartt brand, the tag in it says 88% FR cotton/ 12% Nylon, it is a heavy shirt till it gets broke in but they have been very durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    I work for a municipality here in Fla. How about you? I have 2 different kinds from Tyndale, 1 is the Tyndale brand and the other is Carhartt brand, the tag in it says 88% FR cotton/ 12% Nylon, it is a heavy shirt till it gets broke in but they have been very durable.
    Just out of curosity....

When It gets "Broke in", after all the washin...is it still FR? Have any tests ever been done on how long FR Shirts and pants are Good For, to retain their FR Specs? How many "washes", negate the FR capabilithy of the clothing??

Just askin....I don't know.....

What are the conditions, and "changeout" or "Replacement" rules for your company, for your FR Stuff???

Are there any "Govt." Regs on "Safe longevity" of FR Clothing??? How LONG does a FR Shirt or pants, actually retain their FR Quality after frequent washings?? I'd think these are the questions that should be being asked.

Default IN Scotland

We get all ours supplied . And we throw out heaps coz they give us too much. ITS THE LAW in the uk that your company has to supply your P.P.E. (Personal protective equipment)
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

There is an allowance where I worked. It was a pretty good sum but not enough to completely cover all a guy needed for winter and summer. More like a discount of the total cost. The clothing was to be washed no more than 52 times and washed alone so fibers from other clothing didn't adhere to the FR fabric. You were to not use fabric softener either. But I have seen guys with dirty oily tattered fr jeans and I think they would not handle a flame very well. The way I understand FR is, it will stop burning once you are removed from a source of fire. So It's not armour from flame It simply goes out once your clear of the source. . .if you have washed and maintained it properly.
    The key is clean FR properly, wear FR in good condition and work in a way as to not cause an arc or flame. . . it wont protect you from stupid. . .work smart and safe.

9. Default

we have a contract with Cintas, they supply us with 11 pair's to start with, and then every week they come by the office and pick up the dirty ones and drop off the clean ones. We are allowed to wash them ourselves if we want, but there are procedures you have to follow when doing this. Most of us just turn them in to get cleaned. we have Ultra Soft for the shirts, and Bulwark for the pants. If they are to dirty, torn or just worn out they replace them with a new pair. if you are tall or big it may take a little extra time to get a pair of pants or a shirt back if it is getting replaced, since they don't carry it in stock.But there is no cost to the lineman, the company picks up the tab.

Featured Sponsorr

$250 doesn't actually sound much for FR clothing that is going to see continuous use.

The cheaper stuff tends to be treated cotton fabrics with a flame inhibitor. If you look at the label it usually states that normal washing powders/liquids can't be used and it has to be a very specific plain soap based cleaner with no additives or conditioners.

As already mentioned on this thread, the fire inhibiting agent does wash out after a while and any oil or grease is just fuel on a wick and will burn regardless.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com