Default Strapping on climbers

Featured Sponsor

When I was learning to climb back in the mid 70s one of the old timer Linemen, a construction guy who found a home at the City and could be on the pole all day long, showed me to put the lower strap of the climber around your ankle inside of the shank.

It gives your ankle more mobility and to me it feels like it moves more natural and you can rotate your feet around easier to get some blood back in them.

And no, your foot will not come out of the climber.

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by lineman View Post
    When I was learning to climb back in the mid 70s one of the old timer Linemen, a construction guy who found a home at the City and could be on the pole all day long, showed me to put the lower strap of the climber around your ankle inside of the shank.

It gives your ankle more mobility and to me it feels like it moves more natural and you can rotate your feet around easier to get some blood back in them.

And no, your foot will not come out of the climber.

I always did the same. I also stopped wearing pads and put the iron on my leg. The pads seemed to eat my leg up where the straight iron did not.

if it was any of your business you would know

Quote Originally Posted by US & CA Tramp View Post
    I always did the same. I also stopped wearing pads and put the iron on my leg. The pads seemed to eat my leg up where the straight iron did not.
    I've known folks who did both or either. We had a few guys years ago that like the pad on bare skin- inside the pants too

Featured Sponsorr

I tried the ankle wrap a few times always preferred being "strapped in" it provided a lot more stability for my style of climbing. I did a lot of "drop stepping" and stepping pole to pole on transfers so I guess I just like the extra security. All that being said, with those styles of climbing are mostly dead now that WPFR is the new normal. I imagine that the ankle wrap would be far more popular now but less taught/shown. Excellent food for thought Byron!

Work Safely,

L.A. Martin
    Journeyman/Retired
    Electric System Operator
    CVEC
    There's no such thing as "The End Of The Line!"

If you think you are worth what you know, you are very wrong. Your knowledge today does not have much value beyond a couple of years. Your value is what you can learn and how easily you can adapt to the changes this profession brings so often. -- Jose M. Aguilar