Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pike Fatality

1. Default Pike Fatality

Featured Sponsor

Does anyone have any update on Pike groundman killed in NC working on Progress Energy earlier this week? Our condolences go to his family for thier loss.

As soon as you mention the death of a groundsman it makes me wonder if it's the usual suspect. He grabs the butt of a pole without gloves and the top goes into live primary. I think that accounts for about 80% of fatalities in linework going by the accidents reported on this forum. It's also no great surprise that another (probably young) life has been taken by Pikes mill.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default Lineman electrocuted while working

Thursday, May 10, 2012

A 54-year-old man from Zebulon was killed Thursday when he was electrocuted while working on a Pike Electrical line on N.C. 58.

Nash County sheriff’s Sgt. Jeremy Worrell said deputies responded around 1:30 p.m. to a field behind 9192 South N.C. 58 after a Pike employee called 911 to report his coworker had been injured. Worrell said the employee was in a bucket truck working on a power line when the victim touched the truck and was shocked.

Nash County Emergency Medical Service personnel transported the victim to Nash General Hospital where he died. The victim’s name is being withheld until his family is notified.http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/ne...orking-1060147

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

Default Not confirmed.

Through the grape vine heard the "A-class lineman" went to ground the truck to the system neutral and got it mixed up with the hot phase. Groundman was working on the back of the truck and was electrocuted. Sad if that's the case. I'd like to know some info on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Special ED View Post
    Through the grape vine heard the "A-class lineman" went to ground the truck to the system neutral and got it mixed up with the hot phase. Groundman was working on the back of the truck and was electrocuted. Sad if that's the case. I'd like to know some info on this.
    I hope that grapevine was wrong....if that was the case,its a new one for me.....never heard of a case like that one.

6. Default

Guy in the bucket stuck the truck ground on the primary. Thought it was a shielded system and neutral was on top. Guy on ground didn't have overshoes or gloves on. That's what they've told us
    High Class Line Trash

Default Grounding trucks is wrong

I believe grounding trucks is so wrong.Simply because of the theory of touch potential.Its not possible to have the same potential for the guy on the ground depending where he's standing.Isolation is by far the most practical way.I remember a time when we use to ground trucks and the guy hung it on his yellow hook forgot about it,Groundman is busy until he finally notices he's working primary with it hanging there yet.I know must have his head up his ... but it happened so i heard in our line department meeting.Thoughts and prayers to the Family.......

Blog Entries

How in the fu(k could this possibly happen??????
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    How in the fu(k could this possibly happen??????
    I realize that we all make mistakes and I don't know the facts surrounding this accident, but if what is posted here is correct I wonder the same thing.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    I realize that we all make mistakes and I don't know the facts surrounding this accident, but if what is posted here is correct I wonder the same thing.
    Count me in on this one......there is one thing for sure......somebody needs to have a drug test....and I BET YOU ALL KNOW WHO IT IS!