Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: willing to bet

Default willing to bet

Featured Sponsor

Lets see who can prove me wrong...Im willing to bet that nobody here has worked on 4/0 copper primary in the last three years......and I will go as high as six years when a guy has had to use a copper jab-on/automatic/quick-sleeve....4/0.......not anything smaller.

We still have several feeders that are 4/0 copper and we put it back up (on the rare occasion it comes down) with Fargo or Reliable auto sleeves, most of it was on 11' fir arms with 34 kv insulators and bells, but we've changed out most of em now to 8' CCA arms, so I won't say monthly but a least several times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    We still have several feeders that are 4/0 copper and we put it back up (on the rare occasion it comes down) with Fargo or Reliable auto sleeves, most of it was on 11' fir arms with 34 kv insulators and bells, but we've changed out most of em now to 8' CCA arms, so I won't say monthly but a least several times a year.
    Are you saying that I lost the bet? We also have some Feeders that have 4/0 copper,but thats been there for who knows how long....mostly in the older parts of town.....now in Galveston its plentyful,drops too......I would take a guess that anywhere near the coast its normal having copper conductors,is that what you see?.........now with the cooper jab -ons...I havent used one in many moons......that could be a thred in itself.....equipment that is rarely used.

Ummmmmmmm you wud definately be rong. I have werked on all kinda 4/0 copper in the last few years. Even reconductored a 4/0 feeder with 500 Cu. Lottsa that stuff got put up and rarely ever falls. But have ya ever worked on 2/0 solid copper? that stuff izza bear to cut with pliers but it can be done. A lil onna heavy side too. jus try rollin up one span of it, yer hands aint big enuff and ya gotta use the truck to geddit in and outta the trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Ummmmmmmm you wud definately be rong. I have werked on all kinda 4/0 copper in the last few years. Even reconductored a 4/0 feeder with 500 Cu. Lottsa that stuff got put up and rarely ever falls. But have ya ever worked on 2/0 solid copper? that stuff izza bear to cut with pliers but it can be done. A lil onna heavy side too. jus try rollin up one span of it, yer hands aint big enuff and ya gotta use the truck to geddit in and outta the trailer
    500.....now that has to weigh a ton......your so right it never fails but them crossarms do.....trees can fall on it,poles can go down....you name it....but the wire itself is nearly always untouched.........thats why I mentioned the jab ons.......you hardly ever need to use them......by the way....im fixing to make another bet....and maybe my luck will change.

Yes Ive worked with 2/0 solid copper....its unusual here...... its not easy and can be a pain in the butt.....mostly on the east side of Houston,near all those chemical plants.....which reminds me......Im not much into the chemical linework stuff,did some and its a whole new ballgame to me.

Default 4/0 cu.

Twin ckts of 4/0 strand are common , in the bay area. Its the 4/0 solid that's the rear one

8. Default

Go around Cincinnati Ohio, I worked more copper primary than Alu there.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk13 View Post
    Go around Cincinnati Ohio, I worked more copper primary than Alu there.
    Thats is a surprise.Is it in an old area.....if not why?

Default 4/0 CU primary

Featured Sponsorr

In the past year my crew has reconductored around 2 miles of 4/0 copper to 795 aaac. We still have many circuits that have 4/0 copper conductor. The job we just finished was re-insulating about 20 spans of 4/0 copper primary and installing standoff brackets for the new insulators. As far as "jab ons" I have used both them and deadends on the 4/0 for cutting in switches, deadends, cutting out damaged sections from lightening, etc.

Still pretty common around here to spot 4/0 Copper, especially in old larger towns. Saw 2/0 and if I remember correctly 4/0 solid Cu on open wire secondaries in an old industrial area in Jacksonville about 14 years ago when contracting. Still had plenty of the A wire copper weld up there as well. Speaking of A wire or copper weld, when in Louisville in 08 they were giving us brand new hand coils of it to put up in the air as needed, I didnt realize they still made the stuff.
    This country is being destroyed by those who could not have created it. In order to return the days of this country being the proverbial shining city on the hill for all of the world to see, we must first return to the ways that enabled the light to first shine.