Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: willing to bet

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by rat*******101 View Post
    In the past year my crew has reconductored around 2 miles of 4/0 copper to 795 aaac. We still have many circuits that have 4/0 copper conductor. The job we just finished was re-insulating about 20 spans of 4/0 copper primary and installing standoff brackets for the new insulators. As far as "jab ons" I have used both them and deadends on the 4/0 for cutting in switches, deadends, cutting out damaged sections from lightening, etc.

Still pretty common around here to spot 4/0 Copper, especially in old larger towns. Saw 2/0 and if I remember correctly 4/0 solid Cu on open wire secondaries in an old industrial area in Jacksonville about 14 years ago when contracting. Still had plenty of the A wire copper weld up there as well. Speaking of A wire or copper weld, when in Louisville in 08 they were giving us brand new hand coils of it to put up in the air as needed, I didnt realize they still made the stuff.
    Some 4/0 in Louisville. Plenty of it in Michigan. Louisville does have alot of 2/0sol. And the A wire. Well that **** is everywhere in Louisville and they do get new A wire for repairs.. Some of the stuff they have there you gotta get wire from a troubleman that's saved some and keeps it on his truck cause it's a ******* size and the don't stock it.. Mostly 6 A and 8 A wire is what they use though. All automatic sleeves and deadends sometimes bolt on dead ends..

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    Lets see who can prove me wrong...Im willing to bet that nobody here has worked on 4/0 copper primary in the last three years......and I will go as high as six years when a guy has had to use a copper jab-on/automatic/quick-sleeve....4/0.......not anything smaller.
    When was the last time YOU worked on 4/0 copper reppy? And what did ya do?
    Me personally? Never have. In Distribution.
    Did some in Highline.

Featured Sponsorr

When was an apprentice in the Toronto area 250 copper was a normal distribution feeder. I have seen a couple of 500 and I have worked on 300 copper as well!