Thread: the other bet

Default the other bet

Featured Sponsor

Prove me wrong again.....How many times have you used a (urd) feed-through.....and actually use it for its purpose....to feed through......not using it as a stand off ,cause you ran out of stand-offs.....I will bet that you havent use it more than 4 times to feed-through......I got ya this time didnt I ?.........and if you did use one,did it hold or did it fail?

You lose again , Reppy. I carry a feedthru and a ground jumper in my pickup. I don't get tangled up in underground work that often but when I do those feedthru's are really handy. Just used it a while ago installing a new padmount tx for a new customer. It had to be cut into the existing loop feed.

Guess Ill retire from betting,my odds are looking pretty bad.........still havent heard about anyone using a jab -on in the last 6 years.

All we use feed throughs for is grounding, we would never put 2 live cables on them so we could isolate a transformer.

When we did use the feed-through ,I believe there was already an outstanding switching order on the loop....so it was a good idea,using it.........here comes the( but ) but it held for a few hours and gave up.....I dont know if that was due to load or a faulty feed-through......I cant recall the amperage rating on one,but Ill guess 100amps....can anyone help on that one?

6. Default

Hey Rep. I carry one for 7.2 and one for 14.4. I used to use it for testing a piece of URD cable that may be faulted using the Hastings DC Hipot adaptor on my phasing set. Since we got the radar unit though I haven't used the DC tester too often. I will still use it on a radial though. It's easier to test it at the open cut-out on the terminal pole than setting up the radar machine. But getting back to the feed thru. I use them now in case I have a Primary Metering problem on an underground. Some of those self contained units have poor CT's inside and they fail. I can use the feed thru to get the customer back in service until they can schedule an outage to have the metering replaced. I haven't had one fail yet.

But not too long ago I found what I thought was a PMH gear that I hadn't seen before. When I opened the door lo and behold it the guts were gone and it was being used as a splice box. Inside were 2 cables tied together with a feed thru. Lord only knows who's bright idea that was or how long it had been there. The cabe gang changed it out a few days later.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman8641 View Post
    Hey Rep. I carry one for 7.2 and one for 14.4. I used to use it for testing a piece of URD cable that may be faulted using the Hastings DC Hipot adaptor on my phasing set. Since we got the radar unit though I haven't used the DC tester too often. I will still use it on a radial though. It's easier to test it at the open cut-out on the terminal pole than setting up the radar machine. But getting back to the feed thru. I use them now in case I have a Primary Metering problem on an underground. Some of those self contained units have poor CT's inside and they fail. I can use the feed thru to get the customer back in service until they can schedule an outage to have the metering replaced. I haven't had one fail yet.

But not too long ago I found what I thought was a PMH gear that I hadn't seen before. When I opened the door lo and behold it the guts were gone and it was being used as a splice box. Inside were 2 cables tied together with a feed thru. Lord only knows who's bright idea that was or how long it had been there. The cabe gang changed it out a few days later.
    Thats a new one on me,no telling how many are still out there,waiting to be found.....theres been many times when a span has been isolated...and not repaired until months or years later.....which state are you in anyway....California or Flordia?

Default URD Feed thrus

We routinely use feed thrus for switching, isolating, testing, and at times grounding. In the past we have placed both cables on a feed thru in a single phase TX to kill the TX while we changed it out. We would wrap the elbows and feed thru up in a blanket, the lift the transformer and replace it with a new one. Probably not the best idea, and probably would not do it again, but at the time was standard practice.

We also have feed thru bushings that replace one of the single screw in bushings on a transformer, in these cases you have one incoming cable and 2 outgoing cables, we call them superclosures for some reason.

Another item we use is called LB bars, usually a type of feed thru that is permenantly mounted in an enclosure that has 3 or 4 bushings all interconnected, basically a permenant mounted feed thru with multiple places to plug an elbow on.

The feed thrus we use are rated for 200 amps I believe and we have them for 15 and 25 KV systems.
    This country is being destroyed by those who could not have created it. In order to return the days of this country being the proverbial shining city on the hill for all of the world to see, we must first return to the ways that enabled the light to first shine.

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

Featured Sponsorr

Keep a few on my truck all the time for urd trouble work and I use them alot!!!