Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet peeves

Default Pet peeves

Featured Sponsor

What are some of your pet peeves?
    One of mine is putting the switches & bank on the same side of the pole as compared to putting the switches on the other side of the pole where they belong.

One of mine is putting the mack on before stretching out the hoist and putting them on when double dead ending for cutting in switches.

Being sent to a call as a 1 man after the dispatchers have already gave that call away....either the person before wouldnt do the job or he couldnt do the job.....and I know this isnt the only place that it happens.

another is somebody that cant make up his mind,the kind that talks...talks...talks doubting himself.....i know somebody thats still like that after 30 plus years.

Da$n....
    Been thinkin bout it, and I honestly can't think of any. Maby aside from a over mouthy apprectace. But I had ways of dealin with that. Back in the day.

Interesting what NFLineman said. I was always taught, to put the Mac on First.
    I still like that theory personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    Da$n....
    Been thinkin bout it, and I honestly can't think of any. Maby aside from a over mouthy apprectace. But I had ways of dealin with that. Back in the day.

Interesting what NFLineman said. I was always taught, to put the Mac on First.
    I still like that theory personally.
    That's the way I was taught as well, keeps someone from getting ahead of themselves and cutting the wire before the mack is on.

A little shack on the side of a bluff in Western NC

I guess my biggest one is after racking the bucket, some dumbass lifting the outriggers before I get out of the bucket,off the truck and get my feet back on the ground. I took a quick trip to the ground once because of that. Was straddle of the bucket getting out, and up came the knees! Needless to say, after my cuss fit and chewing some asses....it never happened again.
    I'm much too young to feel this damm old!

Quote Originally Posted by JD426H View Post
    I guess my biggest one is after racking the bucket, some dumbass lifting the outriggers before I get out of the bucket,off the truck and get my feet back on the ground. I took a quick trip to the ground once because of that. Was straddle of the bucket getting out, and up came the knees! Needless to say, after my cuss fit and chewing some asses....it never happened again.
    There ya go! "After the cuss fit, and chewin some asses, it never happened again."

As the Journeyman Lineman, on MY crew... I always told my groundmen and apprentices, how I wanted things done, and made Da$n sure things were done that way.

If somethin new came up, that I didn't like...I would add it to the list, and make sure they knew I had added it to the list of "NOT to do", without cussin em out.
    "So..don't let it happen again."

In my personal opinion, The Journeyman Lineman on the Crew...runs the show, and any particular Job that "crew" is assigned to do.

I ain't the GF, but I'm god da$n sure the "voice" on MY Crew, if I'm the top Journeyman Lineman on the Job. And I will, and always make sure, the people I am responsible for...understand that.

I would have to say mine is 'one way' linemen. Even worst, vocal 'one way' linemen. You know the kind that will watch and even the minutest deviation from what they would do calls for a "what the hell are you doing" from the ground. You want to talk about having some demoralized apprentices that have completely shut down...

Worst yet is getting apprentices from these types. Apprentices that have absolutely no confidence in their abilities and wait for you to make every decision for them and tell them everything they should do. I consider 7th step apprentices basically linemen...that you have to keep an eye on. They should be operating at lineman level with the very rare interjection.

I don't consider it the ape's fault but do take it upon myself to bring him up to speed with reality because in six months, a year, he's going to be directly responsible for not only his life but others beneath him. A just topped out lineman that's been a drone apprentice the entire time and a 4th step new-be is a deadly combination.

Instead of directly telling an ape how I would do a job, I'd rather listen to his idea then broach any issues or concerns I may have. It may not be exactly how I would do it but I'll subtly tweak it enough to make it work. I may not say it but on the inside, I've been humbled by new ideas others have come up with.

Featured Sponsorr

Ummmmmmmm Until You mentioned it Bones I had forgotton just whadda bummer it is to get one of those guys on my crew. Its an excellant point bout not allowin em any latitude and does nothing to bolster confidence.And we all know confidence is a major player in our trade. I've had to work with one old foreman that only knew one way to do anything but he knew that way was safe. He was never open to deviating from his plan even a little bit. More often than not his plan had us working harder instead of smarter. I hated working fer that guy and did a lil jig when he got transferred.