Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    Mark,I dont think you will catch any flack,your dead on,you know it,I know it and they know it.....but these are different days.....you cant say certain words anymore..........not all of these accidents are preventable.most are.........there was a time that lineman would be called into a supervisors office.......be called all sorts of nice things before being fired.......they never mentioned it being an electricans fault.........you cant say those nice things anymore.......you have to be gentel in todays world.
    Please don't think that I was implying that the electrician didn't share in some of the blame. And, sure, there are some accident that are so strange that no one is really to blame. I just get irritated when we seem to perpetuate the divide between linemen and electricians (both sides do it). I think we would all be better off if we took some time to stand in the other's shoes and try to at least understand the other trade. I frequently work with the linemen in my area and have had almost all positive experiences; probably due in part to my participation on this forum that gives me a glimpse of the lineman trade.

Mark

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

Exclamation

Sorry for digging up an old thread.

One question. After the hi pot test was the secondary shorted out to a ground to remove the DC voltage?

I believe from my own experience Clive is 100% right. The hi pot through the coils and the secondary will hold a charge after the test and must be bleeded off or an unpleasant jolt will occur. Not like 120 feels more like an electric fence. Wanna know the feelin I'm talkin about grab both leads of a meggar and let your buddy give it a crank. Lol

In writing this post I have another question. The transformer was hi pot tested. Why was the secondary not removed before testing? Makes no sense to me. Not only will you damage the secondary conductors but you will also show bad at the can if it's a secondary issue. Me personally I would hi pot with the secondary disconnected and if that checked out I would meg the secondary.

Featured Sponsorr

A DC capacitive charge could be possible. Grounding out the secondaries, we do. We have a large industrial customer. On that property we have 15 - 2500 kva and 9 other padmounts 150 kva to 1000 kva, all 277/480. My guys and I all know the electricians there and yes we ground everything before we start working anything dead. They have way too many backup generators, and backup feeds from one area to another.
    Climb High - Dive Deep - Everyone Goes Home!