Default almost another two part question

Featured Sponsor

You lineman that work for the city,do you get the same benifits as the police dept and fire dept..and are you with the Ibew? Im asking cause here the police dept. has two unions,the fire dept has at least one.......both have good benifits and are able to retire after 20 yrs,Im sure thats the case in most cities....well if your with the city as a lineman that should also apply.Here I think the police dept has an edge when it comes to benifits,just a little better than the fire dept.....and another question that I dont believe Ive seen here is how many of you guys have been on prison property restoring their lights....never-mind thats another story.

Default city worker

we have the same insurance as the rest of the city employees. The city police and fire have 20yr. retirement we have 27 yr. We are not union and the Fire dept is union but the city doesnt reconize the union. Never had to pay for insurance till this year.

Quote Originally Posted by THE KID View Post
    we have the same insurance as the rest of the city employees. The city police and fire have 20yr. retirement we have 27 yr. We are not union and the Fire dept is union but the city doesnt reconize the union. Never had to pay for insurance till this year.
    That seems a little unfair,if they get to retire after 20 and you cant,that kind of caught me off guard,the fire dept being union and the city doesnt reconize it....but they still can leave after 20....thanks for the reply.

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

I'm a union contractor don't work for the city. But I've done alot of work in prisons. Started out the state had inmates building and Maintaining their power lines. The prisons are primary customers so they own their poles, wire, transformers, everything past the primary meters. Well after an inmate got burnt they brought me in and I handled all their high voltage work and their engineers did the narrow back work.

Most work was outside the fence. But alot of equipment was in side and I was often exposed to the inmates on the yard and in the buildings. Once was even asked to go in while the inmates theatend to riot cause it was over 105 outside and the power was out. I refused till they were all in their cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Special ED View Post
    I'm a union contractor don't work for the city. But I've done alot of work in prisons. Started out the state had inmates building and Maintaining their power lines. The prisons are primary customers so they own their poles, wire, transformers, everything past the primary meters. Well after an inmate got burnt they brought me in and I handled all their high voltage work and their engineers did the narrow back work.

Most work was outside the fence. But alot of equipment was in side and I was often exposed to the inmates on the yard and in the buildings. Once was even asked to go in while the inmates theatend to riot cause it was over 105 outside and the power was out. I refused till they were all in their cells.
    That is true.at least here in Texas,they have their own lineman,some inmates are as free as a bird inside that property,they will walk right up to you like it was your cousin,they will want to borrow your belt,hooks and even your boots,we had a bad transformer years ago,one inmate wanted to use my hooks and change the transformer out....I still think he could have,he knew about linework,and he was a go getter.....but I couldnt let him do it...I think his pride was a little hurt....here they dont send them back inside.....they are trustees.....kind of gives you the creeps...what do they have to lose if one wants to kill you?

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

Yeah and the sad thing is if the SHTF and there's a prison uprising (think Attica) your the first one the inmates will go after cause you have civilian clothes.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Special ED View Post
    Yeah and the sad thing is if the SHTF and there's a prison uprising (think Attica) your the first one the inmates will go after cause you have civilian clothes.
    They used to let lineman eat in the mess hall with them,one lineman loved going inside the prisons,he would pic any veggie he could get his hands on......south of here they had that nut ,the texas chainsaw massacre guy....they say he would have a certain grin when looking at you.....like he wanted to rip you apart with a chainsaw.