Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gripe day

Default Gripe day

Featured Sponsor

uhh I think Ill gripe about something today,my dog is tired of listening to my gripes so Ill give him a break,where do you connect your hotline clamps.........do you bring the copper in from the bottom or do you come in from the top,I dont know why....but coming in from the top has always bothered me.......thats my gripe and Im sticking to it !

I almost always bring the copper in from the bottom Reppy, but there has been the odd exception

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    I almost always bring the copper in from the bottom Reppy, but there has been the odd exception
    It really doesnt bother me in any way,Im just used to bringing it in from the bottom....I guess what does bother me is when a guy tightens the connection and doesnt shape the wire,doesnt he know a shotgun will be used to screw/unscrew the eye....and thats a small gripe.

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

Hot line clamps or slow taps are supposed to have the wire come in from the bottom but in my experience folks can't seem to form the wire and takin them off with a shotgun stick is a bear! I'm guilty of putting the wire in from the top and honestly I rather folks do that if they won't form the wire. Cause of you put it in the top you have to bend it over and down so it allows the use of a shotgun.

What I can't stand is the risers made that look like a big ole slinky hangin off the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Special ED View Post

What I can't stand is the risers made that look like a big ole slinky hangin off the line.
    I here you, guys need to take more pride in what they build!
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Special ED View Post
    Hot line clamps or slow taps are supposed to have the wire come in from the bottom
    Funny, I've installed hundreds of hot line clamps and I've never seen an instruction sheet or spec anywhere that says the wire is supposed to go in the bottom. This is more of an opinion, not fact.

It is my opinion that it's more practical to go in from the top. This way the wire has to be formed, there is more room for a shotgun and it's easier for the next guy to remove it due to the fact there is extra wire cause you came out of the top. I've had to remove more than one where the previous installer came out the bottom probably when the clamp was installed on line first and made the jumper banjo tight. Not fun.

Default Taught

From the bottom with the curve of the wire . Always check the tightness of the nut after you shape it .

Koga

Default different specs for different power companies

I've been places where they WANT them from the top.......as well as from the bottom as they were designed. Does anyone stick an extra inch or so thru and beat it over in a tight hook to catch on the ferrel if it should ever vibrate loose thru the years?? I have had a hotline clamp in my shotgun and a #6 jumper flopping in the breeze twice in my career. Depending on how old the construction is, I'll sometimes apply a flat ratchet before removing. A little gunshy I guess.

9. Default

All the cool lineman come in from the top.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by ODBank View Post
    All the cool lineman come in from the top.
    cool huh?....now that a new word for me.....can I ask you why bringing it in from the top makes a lineman cool........make my day.....I need the laugh