Thread: up or down?

Default up or down?

Featured Sponsor

Just for fun lets hear it, deadend shoes, tail up or tail down, and why?

Default usually up

Easier for me riggin hoist , makin up jumpers on the tail ,and tightening up the nuts with the gun.

Koga

Default Are you talking about turning the shoe upside down??

Quote Originally Posted by kooman View Post
    Just for fun lets hear it, deadend shoes, tail up or tail down, and why?
    ...........or taking the wire thru the bottom of the shoe?? Depending on what is getting built - sometimes you turn your shoes over to point them down. If you take them thru the bottom of the shoe you are making it hard on the next guy.......especially if they are hotsticking.

I always try leave a couple of inches stuck straight out of the back of mechanical deadends, not up or down, always found when going back later that it was a lot cleaner to cover up and no jagged wire sticking out to rough up my rubber goods, on auto deadends I run the tail out the bottom and bend it down as close and tight to the back of the deadend as I can and try to cut it off clean.

Tail up, but cut close to the shoe. We make all of our taps on the main line, not the tails.

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    Tail up, but cut close to the shoe. We make all of our taps on the main line, not the tails.
    some oufits like using the tails so that if the connection develops a hot spot, the jumper will burn in the clear rather than the line coming down.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbo View Post
    some oufits like using the tails so that if the connection develops a hot spot, the jumper will burn in the clear rather than the line coming down.
    We only use ampacts for our connections & they run cooler than the line, also in over 20 years never seen an ampact fail. They don't want the current flowing through the shoes around here, but I can also say that I have never seen a shoe fail either.

One place I worked years ago had a problem with conductor burning down just outside the dead end clamp. The old type that a jumper stud could be bolted into for an airbrake pigtail. The engineers decided the problem was the current flow through the dead end clamp to the pigtail was the problem o we ended up ampacting the jumper stud onto the line .

9. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Depends on what your building, go up for over arm jumps, go down for under arm jumps, I always form them with the lay of the jumper as well, on a one way dead end, up and back towards the line.