Default Boom collapse in Glasgow.

Featured Sponsor

Here's a link to a powered access safety forum regarding a truck mounted access unit that had a boom section buckle this week, killing one worker and causing serious head injuries to the operator. What's interesting is that it had apparently done it before and was "repaired". It's possible the manufacturer may have supplied a replacement boom section, but latterly when it suffered damage again the work was quoted for, but then done elsewhere. (Penny pinching?)

http://www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/15135/
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

A picture showing the buckled boom.

Name:  boomfail.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  85.0 KB
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

3. Default Tragic Accident

What a terrible way to go. I am amazed at how much information is available about this accident. The first part says "two hours after" and they already knew the history behind the unit involved. I'm afraid the lawyers here in the states would have this thing locked down in two seconds and nobody would ever know what happened. Instead of sharing, so that others may learn from and prevent future accidents, companies are closed-mouthed and nothing about an accident is ever discussed in the light of day. This is how all the rumor-mill stories run about.

All that said... Whomever put that unit back into service after two previous incidents should be taken to task. Prayers out to the families of those involved. Sad story.

Saftgeek...

Blog Entries

RIP and prayers for the family
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Im just wondering why it was sold by a third party?.....somehow that bothers me,not saying that the first party was hiding anything,just saying they kind of wanted to stand back away from the sell,it seems.

I think the original owners went out of business. The middle seller was probably some sort of liquidation company or just someone wanting a slice.

www.bigclive.com

Another article in the paper today regarding the previous boom failure.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...6908-23899226/

www.bigclive.com

wow...that type of accident never really crosses my mind when im in a basket or bucket..

notice the boom angle is about a 60 or 70...that is at a pretty low stress angle. maybe there should be a test on these things fully extended at a 15 degree angle every day.....I have never done a pre flight test on a crane or bucket...but maybe if i show this stuff to the crew, we will start doing it. how sad.

Y'know how the booms tend to have nylon slip guides in them that the inner boom runs against... Is it just the picture, or does it look like the bolt that holds one of those guides in place is missing on the area where the boom buckled? Could it be that a pad was missing, putting a one-sided strain on the inner boom?

www.bigclive.com

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    Y'know how the booms tend to have nylon slip guides in them that the inner boom runs against... Is it just the picture, or does it look like the bolt that holds one of those guides in place is missing on the area where the boom buckled? Could it be that a pad was missing, putting a one-sided strain on the inner boom?
    Clive you may be right,by the way you have great eyes,I wouldnt have noticed that.Here there are always booms collapsing,carelessness.