Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Insulated Caps

1. Default Insulated Caps

Featured Sponsor

Is anyone having trouble with the Elastimold insulated caps. The lineman are telling me when they pull the cap, they draw a arc and blow the fuse on the riser. Thank you, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by dogman View Post
    Is anyone having trouble with the Elastimold insulated caps. The lineman are telling me when they pull the cap, they draw a arc and blow the fuse on the riser. Thank you, Bob
    dogman,this insulated cap,what does it go too,is it a dummy plug or what? more info needed.

This has been going on for about twenty years ,usually happens in the cold same issue as the elbows they get stiff and when pulled they create a vacuum suck in damp air along with dust/dirt and you get an arc. The new style feed thru's have a yellow ring that vents the vacuum so you don't suck in the crap. A big problem is a lot of this stuff doesn't get operated often and the grease gets stiff and hard making it hard to separate. Had such a problem with flashovers that they came up with a procedure that if the temp got below 20 degrees for any length of time we had to heat up the elbows for at least a half hour before switching live.

bluestreak is this just happening in the colder weather,and at what types of voltages,Im asking cause I have never had problems with pulling elbows hot,thats unless it was 19.9 and there was alot of humidity in the air.Then again we down south almost never see below 20 temps.

Ummmmmmmmmmm I bleve he is referring to dust covers( caps)........ I had one blow up on me in the middle of summer(7.6kv) we didnt switch 19.9 hot

In our area most our direct buried is 13.2 or 23 KV. The problem started showing up on the elbows mostly but recently it's been happening to D E plugs as well.

7. Default Insulated caps

Different terminology, this is the cap that goes over the insert in the padmount, or junction box. We are having trouble with the caps and elbows. I would like to know what we can do to fix this problem. Thank you, Bob

Like you said difference in terminology these are the plugs or elbow that go onto the live parts on a trans or doghouse. I would try to get a hold of an elastimold rep and talk to them. Realizing that you will be told " it couldn't be their products problem"you might just get somebody that will give you some honest tips and suggestions. There was a time when the rep would have some good product knowledge and you could get a lot of good info from them, nowadays it seems they tend to be salesmen that don't know the difference between a transformer and a dishwasher.

If your talking about the dust cover,that wouldnt be on there if a transformer if it was hot,but if your talking about the test point ,it would be.

Featured Sponsorr

Ummmmmmmmmm think about the last transformer on a lateral.... One bushing has the elbow the other has the dust cover.