Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: your hoist

Default your hoist

Featured Sponsor

What kinds of hoist do you guys have,we have always used the nylon hoist for the smaller task and the chain hoist for the larger,now our chain hoist are the red handled types,so you wouldnt use them on secondarys or small primary,simply too heavy for that.I have noticed that some outfits only cary the chain hoist,the gray types,they arent that heavy.

We have AB Chance 1 ton and 2 ton chain hoist's that we mostly use to pull guys, slack off guys etc,etc. As far as hot hoist's go we have Little Mules and Lug-all's, for larger wire I prefer the Lug-all as it has a longer stoughter handle and I can't remember the name brand of the chain hoist's that we use on high-line but they are 7 ton I believe and are heavy, and I almost forgot we still have a few old bicycle chain type hoist's that seem to be able to pull the world.

I prefer the Lug-All web hoist, they come in both 1& 1/2 & 2 ton models, we also get the live line version. As far as chain hoists I prefer the coffing, we are not allowed to use them on or in proximity to energized apparatus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    We have AB Chance 1 ton and 2 ton chain hoist's that we mostly use to pull guys, slack off guys etc,etc. As far as hot hoist's go we have Little Mules and Lug-all's, for larger wire I prefer the Lug-all as it has a longer stoughter handle and I can't remember the name brand of the chain hoist's that we use on high-line but they are 7 ton I believe and are heavy, and I almost forgot we still have a few old bicycle chain type hoist's that seem to be able to pull the world.
    Yea thats the type ,the bicycle type of chain hoist,used them on our dead-ends final sag 600mcm.

Ummmmmmmmm once upon a time A lineman feller decided that since his bicycle chain hoist was metal and both of his grips were also metal and clamped down really hard on the wire that he didnt need a mechanical jumper to allow the current to flow when he cut the wire. Ummmmm You could stand that hoist on its end when he was done kause every link in it was welded together.
    When I started in the trade we made our own strap hoists using a cable hoist , removing the cable installing a flat nylon strap with a hook built in, driling a small hole in the drum and winding the strap around it. WE then cut off most of the metal handle wrapped the remainder with fiberglass cloth slid a 2 ft peice of a pogo over that and poured epoxy in the handle. I kinda suspect that would be illegal today.But we used em everyday for years on 13kv n never had a problem. Later after we became safety conscious we bought em factory made n rated.there was one called a cadillac hoist that had a wheel on one side and by spinning the wheel it took all the slack outta the strap.there were others that had a weak link between the handle and the hoist and it broke if you over extended the capabilities of the hoist.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Ummmmmmmmm once upon a time A lineman feller decided that since his bicycle chain hoist was metal and both of his grips were also metal and clamped down really hard on the wire that he didnt need a mechanical jumper to allow the current to flow when he cut the wire. Ummmmm You could stand that hoist on its end when he was done kause every link in it was welded together.
    When I started in the trade we made our own strap hoists using a cable hoist , removing the cable installing a flat nylon strap with a hook built in, driling a small hole in the drum and winding the strap around it. WE then cut off most of the metal handle wrapped the remainder with fiberglass cloth slid a 2 ft peice of a pogo over that and poured epoxy in the handle. I kinda suspect that would be illegal today.But we used em everyday for years on 13kv n never had a problem. Later after we became safety conscious we bought em factory made n rated.there was one called a cadillac hoist that had a wheel on one side and by spinning the wheel it took all the slack outta the strap.there were others that had a weak link between the handle and the hoist and it broke if you over extended the capabilities of the hoist.
    Seen plenty of fiberglass handles destroyed like in splinters at one end,never saw a chain hoist handle brake though.

Hey Poot ,since you were going back in time how many test lights did you use before they were compleatly off the trucks.I know here they didnt want those test lights on any trucks way back when.And what happened when you put one of those test lights on 277/480?

The Lug-Alls have a sheer link that will break before you over stress the hoist.

ummmmmmmmmm I used a homeade test light with a 240 volt bulb forever. It was really handy for when ya hadda reset a CSP transformer,Just hook er up and trip the switch n I could look n see if the bulb was burnin or not.Ummmmmmmmm I run a lil tape round the bulb jus in case it sploded but it never did.It was my 2 speed test lite bright n dim.

Featured Sponsorr

I recently retired from CHANCE after 42 years designing hot line tools, grounding equipment, and hoists.

Several years ago (20+) my phone rang one day and the lineman on the other end said he had some questions about our 1 ton chain hoist. He wanted to know what we, as the manufacturer, rated the hoist for current carrying capability? I asked him to repeat as I was sure I had misunderstood him. Nope, he was a foreman for a utility and they had been using the hoist as a jumper as well as taking the strain. One of his safety guys caught them doing that and challenged the use. They had actually measured the temperature of the chain at over 250 degrees F. during one use.

It took me about 10 minutes to explain to him it was not, and would not be recommended or rated as a current carrying device.

CHANCE started making strap hoists in the early 1970's.

Work safe guys.