Thread: Naltc Schooling

1. Default Naltc Schooling

Featured Sponsor

Hi everyone, my name is James Q. First post but a long time reader of this Forum. A little bit of background, I am 21 I have my own house along with my girlfriend and my 3 year old daughter. I have been applying for Ameren for about two years for just about anything I can get, but no luck. My mom actually knows the president of Ameren and I have talked to him about a job, but he is really stuck up and just says keep trying. I sure he could get me a job if he wanted to, but o well. I am trying to become a lineman for Ameren but as of right now there is no movement in Missouri. I have signed the booked all around me and haven't heard anything. So I am now going to the next step on going to line school. I have talked to the Hr ladies at Ameren and they said school or work experience will help out a lot with getting a job. So I tried Sltc but there class was full and if u couldn't tell I am an impatience kind of guy so, I did some more looking around and found Naltc in Tn. It is closer than the school in Georgia so that was a plus, but it is a lot smaller school. So I was just wondering if anyone else heard anything about Naltc school or anyone been there. I have already enrolled for this Fall semester in August. I am just trying to get some more info about the school if anyone knows anything. I have a buddy that is going to lend me all his gear except his boots. Which is another thing I wanna ask. I am looking at the wesco 9716s, what is everyone opinion on these boots. I really don't want 16" boots but I talked to the teacher at Naltc and he said he recommends them for starting out, then I can get them cut down, which is fine. Sorry this is kind of long but I am really nervous because it is a big change and a lot of money but I am ready for it. So all in all I just seeing if anyone has been to the school or heard anything about it and can give me some advice. It is great to finally say Hi to everyone on this forum, I have learned a lot from here and there are some great people on here. Thanks

Linn technical college is a lot closer than both of those and they have a line program. I'm in the same boat. House and bills, i work a lot and itd be next to impossible for me to go line school. So i just keep pluggin away. Not sure where abouts in missouri you are but ameren just had a bunch of apprenticeship openings on the illinois side of STL. Good luck to ya. Have you applied at mo valley JATC.

I'll tell you the same thing i tell myself. Stay patient, stay positive

3. Default

Im down by Arnold Missouri where r u from? I looked into linn tech i actually had a friend go there and now he is a trouble man for ameren but that is about 2 hours away and it is a 2 year course. I am going to go do the 15 week course going to be tough with the family and bills but hopefully when i get back I can find something quick. U should check it out it it is only a quick 15 weeks then you might get a job right off the bat. What are you working on right now?

Im up in st. Charles area. I'm driving trucks locally right now. Waiting on my movalley jatc interview in a couple months.

I just dont think even a 15 week program is doable for me. I have a cushion of money saved up but not that big of a cushion. Id love to do the linn program. But gotta make do with what i can.

6. Default

Ya i know it was tough for me to get the money for the loan to go the naltc. becoming a lineman seems to take a lot of patience which sucks big time. I dont know if you are trying to get on with ameren but if u can i talked to the hr ladies that work there and they said they are almost always going to pick someone with some kind of work experience in linework or school. So try ur hardest to get into mo valley if that is the route u are going for. good luck

Yea all i can do is try. Hope for the best. Having a Class A already should help a little bit. But yea experience... oh well. Just gotta try

8. Default

Is there anyone that has been accepted into Naltc school in tennessee?? Or even Sltc??

Custer's Last Stand, St. Louis City, Missouri, USA

Question

Featured Sponsorr

You guys still around? Where U at now, how did it work out? I'd like to know. CH