Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Featured Sponsor

We do sidewalk struts on a regular basis, even on those I will angle the anchor a little bit , but straight up and down will work decent too.

Quote Originally Posted by kooman View Post
    I was at a neighboring system helping on a storm job a while back, and they screw in all their anchors straight up and down, no angle at all, the guys say thats how they do all of them, i was just amazed that they do this, has anyone else seen this or do this?
    CHANCE (now Hubbell) has an Anchoring Encyclopedia on their website http://www.abchance.com/resources/li...ia/049401B.pdf

Here is a clip from page B-13 "Type RR (Round-Rod) anchors torque rating is 2,300 ft-lb.
    Ultimate tension rating for RR mechanical strength is 70,000
    lb. Failure to install within 5° of alignment with the guy load
    will significantly lower strength."

And page B-47 had pictures of correct installations.

Default Anchors

Always at an angle,the pole will be on its face unless you raked it allot.The only time i was taught to go straight was on a hand dug anchor because the anchor was pulling against undisturbed dirt.Even then you would bust the anchor and push it over as far as ya could and back fill hole and tamp with rod @ an angle.

Default sidewalk guys yes.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by kooman View Post
    I was at a neighboring system helping on a storm job a while back, and they screw in all their anchors straight up and down, no angle at all, the guys say thats how they do all of them, i was just amazed that they do this, has anyone else seen this or do this?
    When I have to bust through a good layer of rock and straight up will give me the pressure to do it. If you dont aim at where its attached. After a good rain or a winter, that top is going to move and the guy will be slack. Mother nature and gravity will make that move. Their deadend will be over a couple of pole tops. Its all cool, probably utility guys who came up with a stupid idea. The good thing is their property is probably **** and we will make some money. I love stupid people in this trade, especially ilities. They think they are great and they suck. And when bad weather comes their **** craftmanship cant handle the elements of nature
    Where I see this is in Chicago or New York. Someone told them this is the best way, straight up and down, tbat idiot is probably promoted to head engineer or line superintendent.