Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why are the Unions in decline?

Featured Sponsor

Why are th unions in decline? Why is non-union taking over? Why do you non-union guys make your companies rich while you barely get by? How do we put a stop to this? The corporations are making a fortune cause they will pay you 13.00 an hour for you to put your life on the line everyday and they still take it. Unions aren't bad . Not any worse than any corporation. Why wouldn't you wanna make more money and belong to something bigger than yourself.

2. Default

For some guys we try to get in somewhere anyway we can not all of them pay poor thougb when I was at Vaughn Industries they started you at 16.00 with a two dollar raise every six months after your three years off apprenticeship you could be at 27.50. But i lost my job there and am now at a municipal and I only make 11.55 asan apprentice and our journeyman top out rate is 18.75 but its work I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyhook39 View Post
    For some guys we try to get in somewhere anyway we can not all of them pay poor thougb when I was at Vaughn Industries they started you at 16.00 with a two dollar raise every six months after your three years off apprenticeship you could be at 27.50. But i lost my job there and am now at a municipal and I only make 11.55 asan apprentice and our journeyman top out rate is 18.75 but its work I guess.
    Well can't you see about organizing your muni and join a union. You don't have to go where the union already is , why not bring it to your workplace. 11.55 an hour for an apprentice that's terrible. Organize your workplace and win a contract for better wages. Union = better wages

4. Default

The two guys I work with said they tried some time ago. From my understanding the union wont come in since we are a crew of only three guys. Also I believe we would have to go to the laborers union since we have only nine workers total in town 4 in water 3 in electric and 2 in street.

The unions are in decline because they have gone rotten. They're full of all the things union was supposed to defend against. Vested interests, career management and nepotism. There's also a rather unscrupulous industry of union breaking.

What you guys really need is a new union built from scratch by people who have served at least 20 years in the trade.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    The unions are in decline because they have gone rotten. They're full of all the things union was supposed to defend against. Vested interests, career management and nepotism. There's also a rather unscrupulous industry of union breaking.

What you guys really need is a new union built from scratch by people who have served at least 20 years in the trade.
    I agree Clive,they are like a elephant with a donkeys mask on,not just on holloween either.

Ummmmmmmm while I will agree that there is plenty wrong with our unions today I still think they are head and shoulders better than the alternative.We ourselves must shoulder some of the blame for not taking more active roles within our unions. Those that are involved are much better suited to call BS than the uninformed. A Business agent is much more likely to tow the line if he knows his people are aware of his every move. Most locals furnish the BA with a car allowance and a credit card to cover his expenses but I have seen some that buy drinks all night long on the memberships dime and when they stay over night in a motel its more likely to be the Hilton than Motel 6. The union is only as strong as its membership.

We need to do something. I'd like to be more involved

We know most of the problems and the last sentence of the last two posts is the way to solve those problems. Attend your meetings even if it is a little inconvenient get involved know your contract, and follow it, try to keep the chicken sh/t to a minimum try to act in a professional manner when dealing with the Co. even though they don't. If more people acted like a union and less hurray for me and screw my buddy the unions would grow and gain the respect and power they deserve

Featured Sponsorr

If you truely wanna be involved attend EVERY meeting. Speak your mind, Take an interest.Conduct yourself professionally on the job. Learn from experience and teach the new guys to do the same.