Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Default

Featured Sponsor

I agree with poot while im not union and just a low apprentice ill tell you the impression I got from our union contractors was a kind of F U attitude that they were better than us bc they were in it when we asked them about it they were very harsh bc we didnt make the same choice they did I mean if they woukd have said something like well I joined bc I found it was a great start with good benefits and training and I take pride in the fact I have a good opportunity and you could as well you know what im sayin.

Send me your information; where you are located how many employees are employed in your department and other departments if you know. How I can contact you by phone or email? I will see about getting somebody in there to talk to you guys. We dont care how big or small the unit is everyone deserves a fair wage and benefits for a fair days work. I will do what I can. You do not need to go to the laboreres!
    Just so you know Unions are coming back slowly but on the rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Send me your information; where you are located how many employees are employed in your department and other departments if you know. How I can contact you by phone or email? I will see about getting somebody in there to talk to you guys. We dont care how big or small the unit is everyone deserves a fair wage and benefits for a fair days work. I will do what I can. You do not need to go to the laboreres!
    Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope unions do come back to prominence. But hopefully not just a re-badge of the existing ones, where the original goal was lost so long ago that they are more of a self serving mafia with the seeming primary goal of creaming off their percentage for no return.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Well the local union is only what the members make it. With that I was on here to try to help with the young man organize hie electric department not debate what is wrong with unions. I think that debate would need a page all to itself. I'm proud to be an IBEW member for over 30 years. I hope the young apprentice does not think all contractors will have the same attitude like the one he described. I hope he contacts me so we can help them out.
    Ed Mings
    International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
    International Representative
    Construction and Maintenance Department

Is anyone going to the rally in philly on Saturday for the workers bill of rights?
    Ed Mings
    International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
    International Representative
    Construction and Maintenance Department

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Same offer, I am not an IO Rep. but I will put you in contact with an organiser who will give you all the assistance you need. If you're not in my District, I'll make sure an organiser from the district you're in contacts you. We want you in the IBEW. We want ALL electrical in the IBEW. And no, when I run into you guys I dont think I'm better than you.

40 Year member IBEW
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Featured Sponsorr

I'm not here to cause a big fuss, but I do have something to say. Most importantly, I am union, and have been for a long time. The problem I have with unions is the way they tend to spend a lot of time dealing with political issues instead of working to better the work , the quality of work and the fair treatment of union members. It doesn't hurt to extend help to those in need that do not belong to a union too.

I just got myself out of a job situation by taking holidays for the summer. Why? It was a site that involved both lineman and electricians, and don't take it the wrong way , my brother is an electrician. My problem started with the fight over who's jurisdiction the job was. Then when I arrived on site , I was told straight out I was not wanted by the electricians. I even had a couple of electricians forced on me. Now this is all in the same union for the same company. Instead of trying to get along and trying to get the job done, it was just one big frigging headache. My job was to lay and terminate primary cables and to build the station structures. Every time I went to start something, there would always be a problem. I couldn't even lay cable without interference. To dang many politics to deal with just to get a simple job done . I finally had enough and called my boss and took the rest of the summer off. I didn't really want to but I could see no other way.

The bottom line - too much fighting inside the union over who could do what job and how it had to be done. Not my idea of how it should work