Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fault wizard

Default Cable URD

Featured Sponsor

Couldn't getter done today people sick....maybe tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by birdog37 View Post
    Couldn't getter done today people sick....maybe tomorrow?
    Now that is a good title for a thread,,,,work thats being slowed down due to sickness....sounds like the one whos sick knows the fault wizzard or thumping machine a little better than the rest.....experience....priceless!

Smile Exactly Reppy

Your right he's the only one that knew how to run the old thumper.Well the verdict is high resistance fault under a blacktop driveway.The darn thing must also be @ the bottom of the cable.The sound was so drowned out that the only way to pin point it was with an acoustic listening device I requested to use.The old thumper may have burned open cable more but it also failed too.
    A selnoid burned up and would not thump.We went to get another fault wizard from another area put it on cycle thump and found it like I explained earlier.Now were not sure if they will fix cable,it has failed before and there is a 3 phase customer off this piece of cable.They generally use the strike 3 rule and replace it.Even thou its only been twice.We contacted the company on the fault wizard and they said it is best to use the cycle mode to find the fault because of the build up of the voltage and the burst of energy that discharges is better than a hi-pot.More amps. to ground than hi-potting.Just don't cycle thump more than an hour.

Your right he's the only one that knew how to run the old thumper.Well the verdict is high resistance fault under a blacktop driveway.The darn thing must also be @ the bottom of the cable.The sound was so drowned out that the only way to pin point it was with an acoustic listening device I requested to use.The old thumper may have burned open cable more but it also failed too.
    A selnoid burned up and would not thump.We went to get another fault wizard from another area put it on cycle thump and found it like I explained earlier.Now were not sure if they will fix cable,it has failed before and there is a 3 phase customer off this piece of cable.They generally use the strike 3 rule and replace it.Even thou its only been twice.We contacted the company on the fault wizard and they said it is best to use the cycle mode to find the fault because of the build up of the voltage and the burst of energy that discharges is better than a hi-pot.More amps. to ground than hi-potting.Just don't cycle thump more than an hour.
    That pipe under the street must have water in it....we have lots of old urd where it is direct lay all over the neighborhood,but piped under the street/intersections.....urd can be tricky at times.

Default fault

Reppy its a sewer pipe.Primary actually runs under the sewer.Deadening the sound even more.

Reppy its a sewer pipe.Primary actually runs under the sewer.Deadening the sound even more.
    just between us,a hole in the bottom of the cable is better than a hole on the top of the cable,the one on the bottom is sitting on the pipe,you can usually always hear that one....the hole on the top of the cable is against nothing so it becomes a little harder to locate sometimes.

Default Cable fixed

Finally fixed cable yesterday. It was bad below the sewer line and in sand. Reason for the fault was the splice body pulled apart. Evidently, the cable was hit a long time ago when they put the sewer line in and fixed by someone who figured he'd never be back here again, as noone here knew the splice was there. Finally, end of story.

Finally fixed cable yesterday. It was bad below the sewer line and in sand. Reason for the fault was the splice body pulled apart. Evidently, the cable was hit a long time ago when they put the sewer line in and fixed by someone who figured he'd never be back here again, as noone here knew the splice was there. Finally, end of story.
    So you guys pulled in new primary?

Default Primary

No they wanted to go ahead and fix it.I believe the mystery was too much for them.I guess the cable did not fail as originally thought before it was hit again some where else..

Featured Sponsorr

No they wanted to go ahead and fix it.I believe the mystery was too much for them.I guess the cable did not fail as originally thought before it was hit again some where else..
    I love the mysteries that happen in this line of work....and I wish my memory was better,there has been lots of those mysteries.