Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Featured Sponsor

all of our wye circuits are shielded construction (neutral on pole top) and every pole has a 1/0 down ground running down it, crimped to #6 copper, then to either a butt plate or a ground rod. we are not a cradle to cradle company but we are required to wear rubbers on a system neutral because it is a current carrying conductor. You asked what is our company is doing to make it so dangerous? We are operating an electric utility, pretty dangerous.
    Quote Originally Posted by copperlineman View Post
    Of course there are guys that work primary neutrals without rubber gloves. NEVER OPEN a neutral without jumpering across it first and wearing rubber gloves, but we're talking about touching a neutral and putting a grounding jumper on it. What is your company doing with the neutral that makes it so dangerous you can't touch it?
    For you guys who practice "ground to ground" rubber gloves, you have to wear gloves all the time, I'm not talking about you. I'm not talking about static neutrals or transmission. I'm talking a regular distribution wye system with a multi-grounded neutral. Transmission is a whole new game.
    Around here, we ground the neutral at least every 600ft and at every equipment pole. NESC (who sets our rules) say ground rods must be 25 ohms of resistance or less. Ours are less than that and most of our grounds go 30 feet. Our neutrals are 1/0 minimum. Neutrals carry the unbalanced current, not all the current. Sounds like you guys should add more grounds and make them better grounds, and maybe balance the load on the phases.
    Your system is only as good as your grounds. Every pole down ground should be connected to your neutral. You should not be able to take a reading between the two because they are one. A pole can be up to 70% ground potential too, so clamp the neutral to the pole and get it off the spool insulators. That may help as much as a #6 ground wire.
    Lastly, if you have to wear gloves to connect your grounding jumper to the neutral because it's a hazard, and then "ground" the primary with it, is your primary really grounded???

Of course there are guys that work primary neutrals without rubber gloves. NEVER OPEN a neutral without jumpering across it first and wearing rubber gloves, but we're talking about touching a neutral and putting a grounding jumper on it. What is your company doing with the neutral that makes it so dangerous you can't touch it?
    For you guys who practice "ground to ground" rubber gloves, you have to wear gloves all the time, I'm not talking about you. I'm not talking about static neutrals or transmission. I'm talking a regular distribution wye system with a multi-grounded neutral. Transmission is a whole new game.
    Around here, we ground the neutral at least every 600ft and at every equipment pole. NESC (who sets our rules) say ground rods must be 25 ohms of resistance or less. Ours are less than that and most of our grounds go 30 feet. Our neutrals are 1/0 minimum. Neutrals carry the unbalanced current, not all the current. Sounds like you guys should add more grounds and make them better grounds, and maybe balance the load on the phases.
    Your system is only as good as your grounds. Every pole down ground should be connected to your neutral. You should not be able to take a reading between the two because they are one. A pole can be up to 70% ground potential too, so clamp the neutral to the pole and get it off the spool insulators. That may help as much as a #6 ground wire.
    Lastly, if you have to wear gloves to connect your grounding jumper to the neutral because it's a hazard, and then "ground" the primary with it, is your primary really grounded???
    We are a ground to ground utility which means we only have to wear our rubbers until everything is grounded. In the example Kooman gave about the transformer we would have to be wearing our rubbers because there is energized conductor on the pole. Once the line is properly grounded using EPZ & there are no other energized conductors on the pole I see no reason to be wearing rubber gloves & obviously you could handle the neutral as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    We are a ground to ground utility which means we only have to wear our rubbers until everything is grounded. In the example Kooman gave about the transformer we would have to be wearing our rubbers because there is energized conductor on the pole. Once the line is properly grounded using EPZ & there are no other energized conductors on the pole I see no reason to be wearing rubber gloves & obviously you could handle the neutral as well.
    lucky. we to are ground to ground. the only time I'm allowed to come out of my rubber is if the conductors are grounded and there is a visible separation with in sight of where the work is being done. we can also come out of them if we are in a position we can't reach the O.H. conductors and the ground man takes our controls. for example making terminations.

in this post you mention static neutrals with transmission....how do yall deal with the static? ive only worked on de energized transmission circuits...so when we ground transmission we use a shotgun while applying the grounds on the static.....although i have seen a ground placed on the static by hand as well...is that not safe?

2 year Ape...i dont know everything. thanks.

Ummmmmmmmmm on transmission you never ever wanna touch that static . It could be deadly. I bleve the proper term is induced voltage and it will hurt you.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by kooman View Post
    all of our wye circuits are shielded construction (neutral on pole top) and every pole has a 1/0 down ground running down it, crimped to #6 copper, then to either a butt plate or a ground rod. we are not a cradle to cradle company but we are required to wear rubbers on a system neutral because it is a current carrying conductor. You asked what is our company is doing to make it so dangerous? We are operating an electric utility, pretty dangerous.
    Ok kooman here’s what you do. It’s your company’s requirement to wear rubber gloves on the neutral, so when you install the ground end of a grounding jumper on the neutral, that’s what you do. Wear your rubber gloves. I’m 100% in favor of employees following their company’s rules. There’s a post on the safety forum right now where I state that very thing.
    But…it’s your company rule, not everyone’s, so excuse me for placing that jumper wearing my leather gloves. Both of us are compliant with OSHA and NESC so we're both good. You wear rubber because the neutral is a current carrying conductor. I wear leather because the neutral is at ground potential.
    I'm good with my rule and sounds like you're good with yours.
    Good topic. Thanks for sharing.