Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: age

1. Default age

Featured Sponsor

I have a question for experienced lineman, does age play a factor to land an apprentice job. I am 33 trying to land a job as a lineman. What chance do I have to become a lineman
    Last edited by tesla21; 08-15-2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: ask differt questio

Good if your willing to learn and work. You can usually teach everybody but you also need somebody who wants to work.

3. Default

Remember age is just a number, I've seen guys start there apprenticeship in there mid 30s! Right now, we got a 40 year old apprentice! We all tell him when he journeys out he's going to be ready to retire!!

I'm 39 trying to get in. A friend just got call who's 36 and I know someone who was 40 when he got in.

5. Default

I'm 33 also and I bet I can work most 20 year olds in the dirt most days! Only difference is I feel it in my body a lil more than when I was 20-25. I lift and run daily... have for years. Right now I'm 6'2" 240 and in shape, but I plan to drop to about 215 before I attend any ape training. Climbing is easier the lighter you are and less stressful on your knees. If you don't already do pull-ups and squats I recommend you hit them for higher reps to increase your endurance and make life easy once you start pole climbing. Also, any stretching you can do to make yourself more flexible really helps also. The older we get, the tighter we get in our flexibility and that is one of the reasons we actually feel older! Anyway, I think you will be fine just might have to prepare physically more than a young buck would!

Cool

Well just to let you know I just turned 41, and currently I'm a 5th step apprentice, it's going well, you just have to stay in shape and want it. I love my work and love to climb. I also have 13 years military time which comes in handy.

Age is a foctor,although most wont admit it.This question is really a hard one,because its a matter of where and who needs people,and how badly.For many ,they will be looking for the younger guys,again it all depends on who is doing the looking and who makes those decisions.Sometimes experience will help alot if you happen to be older,or its a head start.But then again to your advantage is the lazy younger guys that some companies are tired of dealing with....good luck.

I was hired 8 months ago at 33. The apprentice just ahead of me started at 38. We also have a journeyman who just topped out at 40.

I think early thirties is relatively common. Late thirties and up is less so, but by no means unheard of. Although we're in Canada I'm sure things are pretty much the same in the US too.

Quote Originally Posted by langfordbc View Post
    I was hired 8 months ago at 33. The apprentice just ahead of me started at 38. We also have a journeyman who just topped out at 40.

I think early thirties is relatively common. Late thirties and up is less so, but by no means unheard of. Although we're in Canada I'm sure things are pretty much the same in the US too.
    So what do you think of the trade so far langfordbc?Seen anything good so far,maybe a loud fuse blowing?

Featured Sponsorr

I'm definitely enjoying it. I put in a lot of effort and traveled quite a bit just applying so I'm "just happy to be here", so to speak.

Highlights so far: using a helicopter for some trouble calls, grounding for a barehand crew changing spacers on 500 kV line, and of course climbing.

The only real "lowlight" has been my timing on getting into the trade. I became eligible for an apprenticeship about 2 weeks AFTER the final intake here in BC. As of now there is no school and there won't be for possibly another year or more. Also, there is talk of apprentices having to pay for the cost of running the school. Initial estimates are anywhere from $40 000 to over $100 000 each for your 18 weeks over 3 years.