1. Default Recent NLC Grad with a few questions for the Journeymen

Featured Sponsor

Hello All,
    I am a recent graduate of Northwest Lineman College in Idaho. For those who have been considering attending NLC, do it! It was hands down the best decision I've ever made as far as schooling goes and getting a solid foundation in the trade of line work. You will not regret a single minute spent at this school and I guarantee you will leave with a renewed sense of confidence, life long buddies, and be well prepared for anything any apprenticeship can throw your way. Oh yeah and a job!!!
    My questions have to do with a few job offers I have received.
    There are two companies in the Midland/Odessa area that seem to be doing strictly distribution work and chasing the oil wells. One doesn't have an apprentice program in place but I was promised to be enrolled in one through NLC once I began working. Visited the company and the boss seemed very eager to sell me his company. Seemed nice enough but what do you think about having an apprenticeship based strictly on distribution and building line as quickly as possible? What about transmission and underground both of which this company doesn't deal with?
    Second has about the same outlook... building line to oil wells.. big wig actually came to our school, interviewed about 20 of us for 10 spots. Pay is more than aforementioned company plus they grant you 2000 hours toward your apprenticeship just by attending NLC, which is also where their apprentice program is set up. Problem is he mentioned that the work isn't meant to be aesthetically pleasing i.e. they don't care if their washers are square as long as exxon mobil's pumps are going up and down. I am concerned that by working this way I will have learned bad habits and when I do want to go work for a company that is more concerned about craftsmanship I will not be qualified. And will these 2000 hours they grant me for attending NLC be transferable?
    Another option is an Idaho Contractor that has works throughout the Western U.S. Seems like they are the most well rounded company, they do transmission, distribution, underground, wind farms, etc. Only issue I have with them is the pay isn't as good as the other two. Why are wages so suppressed up here? In all likely hood I'd be working in Texas either way so would it just be better to take one of these oil field gigs?
    I've also applied to MSLCAT probably have an interview next month and that would be my first choice if the option presented itself. I am 22, single and ready to hit the road to gain any experience I can but I don't wanna jump at the first offer, rather prefer to keep my options open. Any opinions would be helpful and thank you for contributing to the forum screw copper, this is the real lineman's gold!

go with the Idaho contractor man.... if that fails do the oilfield gig just to get some time and experience and then start applying at utilities... doing the oilfield gig got me a few interviews and im in the process of getting on with a big utility because my experience out here.... never do an apprenticeship out here... very very basic stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Hello All,
    I am a recent graduate of Northwest Lineman College in Idaho. For those who have been considering attending NLC, do it! It was hands down the best decision I've ever made as far as schooling goes and getting a solid foundation in the trade of line work. You will not regret a single minute spent at this school and I guarantee you will leave with a renewed sense of confidence, life long buddies, and be well prepared for anything any apprenticeship can throw your way. Oh yeah and a job!!!
    My questions have to do with a few job offers I have received.
    There are two companies in the Midland/Odessa area that seem to be doing strictly distribution work and chasing the oil wells. One doesn't have an apprentice program in place but I was promised to be enrolled in one through NLC once I began working. Visited the company and the boss seemed very eager to sell me his company. Seemed nice enough but what do you think about having an apprenticeship based strictly on distribution and building line as quickly as possible? What about transmission and underground both of which this company doesn't deal with?
    Second has about the same outlook... building line to oil wells.. big wig actually came to our school, interviewed about 20 of us for 10 spots. Pay is more than aforementioned company plus they grant you 2000 hours toward your apprenticeship just by attending NLC, which is also where their apprentice program is set up. Problem is he mentioned that the work isn't meant to be aesthetically pleasing i.e. they don't care if their washers are square as long as exxon mobil's pumps are going up and down. I am concerned that by working this way I will have learned bad habits and when I do want to go work for a company that is more concerned about craftsmanship I will not be qualified. And will these 2000 hours they grant me for attending NLC be transferable?
    Another option is an Idaho Contractor that has works throughout the Western U.S. Seems like they are the most well rounded company, they do transmission, distribution, underground, wind farms, etc. Only issue I have with them is the pay isn't as good as the other two. Why are wages so suppressed up here? In all likely hood I'd be working in Texas either way so would it just be better to take one of these oil field gigs?
    I've also applied to MSLCAT probably have an interview next month and that would be my first choice if the option presented itself. I am 22, single and ready to hit the road to gain any experience I can but I don't wanna jump at the first offer, rather prefer to keep my options open. Any opinions would be helpful and thank you for contributing to the forum screw copper, this is the real lineman's gold!

Stay out of the rat companies! Especially out here in West Texas! Apply to other apprenticeships. Try SWLCAT. What are they offering for wage in the oilfield I'd be surprised if it broke 16$ an hour

4. Default

Right on man thanks for the advice. That was kinda my first instinct too. Seems like the big utilities are looking for hands with right of way experience anyway. No better way of getting that than by going out there and getting your hands dirty. Good luck.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ntxhand View Post
    Stay out of the rat companies! Especially out here in West Texas! Apply to other apprenticeships. Try SWLCAT. What are they offering for wage in the oilfield I'd be surprised if it broke 16$ an hour
    They are offering $18/hr avg 60hrs a week the other is $16. What are SWLCAT's wages down there in TX? Not trying to be the poorest Lineman but you gotta start somewhere. Like I said interview next month with MSLCAT and if that works out I'll be a happy camper!

Texas has a low scale but NM AZ are way better. But 1st step is 17 an hour.. Join the **** union .

7. Default

Anywhere out West with open grunt books?

Featured Sponsorr

Thats good to know that someone thinks it's a good school. I'm actually starting NLC on Monday. I won't work non union though.