Question Military, getting out!

Featured Sponsor

Hello all! Thank you for taking the time to read a new wanna be's post! I've been reading the forums for a little less than a month, and I believe that this is THE FORUM!

Let me cut to the chase: I am getting out of the military next year, hopefully a little early to attend Southeast Lineman Training Center (SLTC) in May of 13. I know that I will be learning to climb, learn basics of electricity, etc.

The certifications earned are: 10-Hour OSHA Cert, First Aid/CPR, NSC Flagger's cert, Pole-top rescue, bucket truck rescue, class A CDL with possibly getting the digger derrick certification (an elective course.)

My question pertains to the Tuition Assistance I can currently use. I have some $4,900 to spend on a "one-time" (meaning, I can only use the money once) certification of my choice before I get out of the military. Could you or anyone help point me in the right direction with what you would get certified/trained on if you were in my shoes? I am looking to make myself more marketable to employers or just gain more knowledge that could potentially increase my chances of success? (I know that success is relative...)

Many thanks,
    Chris

2. Default

A CDL is a must. CPR/first aid and OSHA 10 is all you need. The rest is just fluff. Military background is a huge plus. Good luck man

Default Yes, but I need to spend it!

Quote Originally Posted by Montiago View Post
    A CDL is a must. CPR/first aid and OSHA 10 is all you need. The rest is just fluff. Military background is a huge plus. Good luck man
    I know that fluff isn't needed, but would anything else be considered "good" fluff? I know that there is a 30-hour OSHA course...hmm, what else? There has to be SOMETHING. And if not something for the lineman career track, perhaps something that is just a perk with working in the electrical "industry."

I appreciate the quick reply, I look forward to using this $4,900 somehow, just not 100% sure where to go/what to do.
    -Chris

4. Default

I'm not sure maybe njatc tech math. Your pretty much golden with your background. Military means to a employer that you take orders and hussel. CDL is a must, you'll be driving trucks all the time. Hmm would be nice if you could spend that money on climbing gear and tools. That would be nice sorry I'm not being much help. There's really not much that you need. The njatc tech math won't make you look better, but brush up on math in general so your not banging your head against the wall when your doing Ohms law etc...

I really appreciate your help! I found out that my GI Bill pays for my tools and climbing gear. It probably helps being and aircraft electrician, so I know a few things like ohms law. I just don't want this money to go to waste, you know?

I appreciate the encouragement, I'm worried about finding an apprenticeship...wife, two kids, no income. Well see what happens.

Bring on the ideas, I need this money spent or I lose it when I get out!

If you don't have your CDL, and you can't think of anything else, take a driving class and get your class A with all of the various certifications. You could always drive truck until you get into the electric business. Having a wife/kids totally changes what you are willing to do.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood View Post
    If you don't have your CDL, and you can't think of anything else, take a driving class and get your class A with all of the various certifications. You could always drive truck until you get into the electric business. Having a wife/kids totally changes what you are willing to do.
    I'll be getting the Class A CDL during my line school. Are there any other endorsements you might suggest getting after that initial Class A?

Sorry, for the repetitive asking, I just want to have enough time to spend Uncle Sam's money!