Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Please explain

Featured Sponsor

I agree once you have signed for it , even if it says it is simply a receipt, I would think a high priced lawyer would try to use it against you in the event you are in an incident down the road. Once they prove you have it then you are expected to follow it to the letter.

Signing a receipt that you received a copy of a safety manual has been around longer than I have. Over 40 years, and well before that. There is no advantage or disadvantage in not signing it. A signed receipt does give the company proof that you were given a safety book.
    If you accept a job at a company, you agree to follow their rules and procedures just by accepting a pay check. You've already signed something similar to this when you were hired.

This is no big deal and I don't know why a BA would advise someone not to sign it. Do you really think that by not signing it, you can decide the rules you like and agree with and that makes it ok??? Or you won't be held accountable for your actions?? It doesn't matter if you agree with the rule book or not, it's the company's book that they have adopted. Follow it or go someplace where they have rules you like.

Here's the language on the APPA Safety Manual Receipt;
    I, (name), acknowledge receipt of this copy of the APPA Safety Manual. I understand that it is my duty to read, study, and abide by these safety rules and work procedures and other employer policies and procedures as they apply to the duties that I shall perform for (company name). I further understand that failure to abide by these rules and the employer rules and procedures shall result in disciplinary action as determined by employer policy.

By the way, the very next page in the book is the foreward. The first paragraph says;
    This Safety Manual has been prepared for the guidance and safety of all employees of publicly-owned electric utilities.
    Every company should edit the manual to depict what their company rules and procedures are, just like North Florida did. That's the time for you to change something you don't agree with.

Featured Sponsorr

You said it right copperlineman, its been that way a long time, strange someone would actually think it would be an issue now more than ever to sign that you received a copy of the safety manual.