Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Apprenticeships vs going straight to work

Featured Sponsor

Hello all! Just a quick question, one that has be a bit confused.

I realize that after a "line school," like SLTC, I might be able to get a job with a local utility right out of the shoot, but does that count towards an apprenticeship?

I'm merely asking because I don't want to "go to work" right away, and be somehow shafting myself with the hours not being included in some form of official apprenticeship to be working towards my Journeyman's Card.

Please let me know the route you guys have gone. I was looking at JTAC apprentice programs in the Southeast region, would these be a better bet than going to "work" right away? I appreciate any and all guidance!

-Chris

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm what utility? jusa bout all of em yer jus gonna be a grunt fer quite a spell. n sum of em have lil or no formal training at all. Ummmmmmmmmmmm Jatc does n its superior to what most utilities offer. But there is a lot to be said for OJT povided you have an inquizitive mind n ask lottsa questions n have knowledgeable people to answer em.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmm what utility? jusa bout all of em yer jus gonna be a grunt fer quite a spell. n sum of em have lil or no formal training at all. Ummmmmmmmmmmm Jatc does n its superior to what most utilities offer. But there is a lot to be said for OJT povided you have an inquizitive mind n ask lottsa questions n have knowledgeable people to answer em.
    That's what I had suspected Pootnaigle. I don't want to "limit" my options after SLTC, I want to get straight to work...but from what I gather, it might be best to get some formal apprenticeships (JTAC?)

Please let me know more about the hours associated with an apprenticeship vs working with a utility, I want to get the best training around and be well rounded, but I also don't want to "waste" my hard worked man hours if they are not applied to an official apprenticeship.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by AFChris View Post
    That's what I had suspected Pootnaigle. I don't want to "limit" my options after SLTC, I want to get straight to work...but from what I gather, it might be best to get some formal apprenticeships (JTAC?)

Please let me know more about the hours associated with an apprenticeship vs working with a utility, I want to get the best training around and be well rounded, but I also don't want to "waste" my hard worked man hours if they are not applied to an official apprenticeship.

-Chris
    From my understanding SELCAT (Jatc) is hard up for work . You might wanna look around the country at other JATC's . Whatever you do , go union

Quote Originally Posted by ntxhand View Post
    From my understanding SELCAT (Jatc) is hard up for work . You might wanna look around the country at other JATC's . Whatever you do , go union
    You said "SELCAT" and then put JATC in parenthesis, I thought that there are many JATC's, but SELCAT being one of them..correct me if I am wrong.

I would be applying to the 5 JATC's in the local region.

People always want to put their $.02 with regards to unions, but you have not swayed me either way...Let's put some information in that last sentence.
    -Chris

You said "SELCAT" and then put JATC in parenthesis, I thought that there are many JATC's, but SELCAT being one of them..correct me if I am wrong.

People always want to put their $.02 with regards to unions, but you have not swayed me either way...Let's put some information in that last sentence.
    -Chris
    Stop being lazy and look up some info on your own... look up safety records of union vs non union contractors and utilities, look up wage differences, look up apprenticeship structure and organization from one vs the other...if you think you can be a journeyman in under a year, join pike and go handle your business! If you want a structured way of learning this trade... try researching unions and ajatc's

-Chris
    SELCAT- South Eastern Line Constructors Apprenticeship Training.... Your region I'm assuming since you said southeast. You moron. SELCAT- Is the Southeast's regional JATC. Are you aware JATC's are union...you obviously have no clue about the trade...no **** after line school you might be lucky enough to get on at a power company you might not... big utilities, coops, muni's and whatever have apprenticeships, some contractors (non-union) ape-ships are most likely questionable as to how qualified their "JL"s are. If you want less pay and less everything go non-union. Was just trying to help next time I'll keep my "$.02" cents

8. Default

When it comes to measuring Lineman I do not get the whole union vs nonunion thing. I use to work for a co-op in the Appalachian mountains and they were some of the hardest working lineman I know. I have seen them work 24 hr shifts on the side of a mountain in 3 feet of snow to restore the power. Even on a good day they would build and install a whole line by hand up the side of the mountain because you cannot get a bucket truck to the work sight. I know they go through a five year apprenticeship program. They also have a great safety record. I am not here to bash union workers, But if you think you are the best lineman because you are union. That is very narrasastic. Personally I have been trying to become a lineman for some time know, and all I am lacking is the opportunity. And when the first organization gives me the opportunity to become a lineman it does not matter to me if it is union or nonunion I will be loyal to that company.

ntxhand, you were being helpful. this guy is just ignorant and a little rude and jumpy. The thing you need to to understand AFChris is what a JATC (joint apprenticeship training committee) is. The area joint apprenticeship and training committee (AJATC) is a union apprenticeship program for the outside contractors nation wide. They break it up into regions. SELCAT is a JATC region for the southeastern side of the country. The northeast has its own JATC region the northwest, southwest, ect. Upon completion of this apprenticeship you become, after testing, an IBEW Journeyman Lineman. You need to do a lot more research on that stuff, read through these forums first, then ask questions, it makes things easier. Now each utility has its own apprenticeship programs and different ways of going about doing it. Most start you out as "pre-apprentice" or whatever other formal crap name they give it, but its all the same your a grunt (groundman). Then if your worth anything they'll start teaching you more and moving you through their apprenticeship. I don't know much about the way non union contractors or utilities do things, because I never cared, I only want to be union. SO to answer your question just go to work. Get started in this trade anyway you can, it will not be wasted time. I personally would say only look at union. But more than anything you need to do a **** ton more research into this trade, and previous posts on this forum would have given you so much more information than your going to get just starting a thread.

Featured Sponsorr

Ummmmmmmmm I kaint n wont fault ya fer that. I suspect where yer gettin lost in this whole conversate is in the area of training. An apprenticesship thru a union will insure that you get plenty of it. Ummmmmmm there is absolutely not a thing wrong with a non union co op and they do have some excellant linemen. and while they may not be union brothers they are still brothers in the trade and should be respected by all It also has a defined length of time for every step of the apprenticeship
    In many of the non union settings this isnt true. there are many benefits to being union and I wholeheartedly reccomend it for all that can join