Thread: cut and shoot

Default cut and shoot

Featured Sponsor

Anybody still using this method,or whats your say on it....a linefuse is blown....a 1 man or troubleshooter sees that a span of primary is down 8 spans away from the linefuse....he is susposed to cut it in the clear and return to the linefuse and give it a shot......getting on as many customers as he can.....lets hear the fors and the against.

2. Default

If there is no quick fix, why would you not do it this way.

Many lineman are different,and thats ok,some wont make that climb alone,some wont do it at night...some might ask all the what ifs.....even I can ask about a guy falling,but some will bring up the squeeze,so that may exclude the falling issue,or does it?

Sounds to me like a trouble shooter saying screw the next guy. How is the "next guy" going sleeve the conductor together/pick load w/o taking another outage? Plus there is not always a double dead end handy.

Just call a crew if it's to big a job for one guy or get another troubleshooter to help.

It's linework not rocket science.

Ummmmmm well the rules say if it aint grounded it aint dead ............ so theres a tad more than just reaching out n cuttin it in the clear involved. If Hot bolt cutters are available itsa no brainer

We used to cut it clear and close all the time alone. The wire was only 6 copper and you could use a pruner on a section of hot stick. You had to worry the tie was tight or you could cut the wire and it would run thru the tie and be down another span and the sag would bag down getting into a bunch of other stuff for a few spans so there were things to think about. Now the rules for working in the zone are different and it's two man work, the wire is acsr and a pruner is going to get knicked up on the steel strand so a hot cutter is required. The ties are preformed and will hold so putting it back up may be almost quicker once two guys show up. Line work has changed.

Default Wire down

Personally Fixing the problem is the way to go.It has to be done sometime.If a wrap lock is whats holding it now,cut it in the clear,and get as many customers on.Call for your reinforcements to help,when it comes time to do the job get everything in place after you've discussed it and documented it.Contact any large load customer.Pull cut-out with load buster,test ground go to work.
    Last edited by birdog37; 09-26-2012 at 07:17 AM.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cololinehand View Post
    Sounds to me like a trouble shooter saying screw the next guy. How is the "next guy" going sleeve the conductor together/pick load w/o taking another outage? Plus there is not always a double dead end handy.

Just call a crew if it's to big a job for one guy or get another troubleshooter to help.

It's linework not rocket science.
    Sorry guys, didn't read the part of one man troubleshooter. I personally dont believe in doing any aerial work while alone. I know many companies allow it though. In response to taking a second outage to pick up the load...we use a load make and break mac when possible. This way we can get as many people on as possible without "screwing the next guy".

Default load make

Thats great if you can get a truck to do the work but to me it sounded like a private rite way.We had the load make or break jumper heads,this way you can use any length jumper you want to accommodate what your doing.300 continuous amps.Made by Hi line.

Featured Sponsorr

UMMMMMMMMMM roy Harris the heavyweight contnder wuz frum cut n d shoot texas i unnertsndd he izza lawyer guy now