Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Paycheck lineman

Featured Sponsor

Just a little about me..last time I counted I had 22 or 23 jobs in my life....seen alot,people that are there for the paycheck only ....not too many paycheck lineman...wonder why ...there are a few so/so lineman....but does anybody work or have worked with a paycheck lineman .....they dont last long on in trade..which is great !

I used to love it so much I would have done it for free, I couldn't believe they paid me to do it. Now it's more about the paycheck.
    Last edited by Lineman North Florida; 10-20-2012 at 03:24 PM.

thats too funny

In my humble opinion, if there is no paycheck involved then I will be moving on to something else. Its too hard a business and too much is at stake to not get paid. I gave up the idea of doing it for the enjoyment a long time ago. A lot of it is just about the money, of course us older guys did have pride in our work and our own self esteem to contend with, but with the new batch of kids that just want to get a paycheck and not really work for it , it makes it harder and harder to give a s***.

Kind of sad ... you cant say what you mean anymore ....I caught **** for saying the baby word .

Yeah I kinda went through the same thing, being a bit old school, and believing in a days wok for a days pay didn't help either!

its too sad

Default common place it seems now days

Many people are drawn to the trade by the $$$$, some find they actually find the job rewarding and the $$$ is not as much of an issue to them as they actually love what they do. Others hate the job and/or working in general, yet stay because they want the $$$. It doesn't take long to figure out which type you are working with.

My father told me something that has stuck with me for years now. "Find you a job that you enjoy doing that pays well enough to provide for you and your family. If you like shoveling crap and can earn a living doing it the by all means shovel crap. You do not want to have a job that you dread going to for the rest of your life."

Well I heeded that advice every since I was old enough to start working somewhere other than at home (14 yrs old) and it has served me well I guess since I still love doing linework and do not regret any of my former jobs in the least bit.
    Take only what you earn, give only what you can, learn to respect yourself before you can expect to respect anything or anyone else.

You're kidding. A "paycheck lineman"? If the money isn't right, I'm gone. I'm not doing this for glory. I'm not doing this for kicks. I'm not doing this to get my name on a monument. I'm doing this for dollars and benefits. Period.

What are YOU doing it for?

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    In my humble opinion, if there is no paycheck involved then I will be moving on to something else. Its too hard a business and too much is at stake to not get paid. I gave up the idea of doing it for the enjoyment a long time ago. A lot of it is just about the money, of course us older guys did have pride in our work and our own self esteem to contend with, but with the new batch of kids that just want to get a paycheck and not really work for it , it makes it harder and harder to give a s***.
    Unfortunately, it IS a different world of "linework" nowdays.

Back in the day I was just SO Proud to be a hired in the line trade! Hell, I was Proud to just be hired to work with Linemen, and learn the trade, when I started Linework. "Political Correctness", was not part of the trade back then.

There was nothing I wouldn't have done to keep that job, and I DID. Once I'd been there for a couple months as a grunt....they couldn't Blow me out of the trade of Linework. I was GOING to be a Lineman!!!

It was a different Trade back then, It was also a different time.

If I thought the money was "Fair" for my time worked, I was happy. As long as my paycheck paid the bills, and I had money left over, I was happy.

Nowdays, it seems to be more about the Money, than actual "Job enjoyment". I can understand. It's just too bad. I'm just "Old"....and Times have changed....