Default Union line construction

Featured Sponsor

Hi everyone I have a question about union work. I just started the neat bootcamp and this past weekend the instructors were talking bout being able to quit whenever you want or getting fired and just go to the hall for a new job. I was just wondering if that is a common occurrence, guys quitting because there is a job that they could work more hours on and things like that. I'm not knocking that you know if that's what their looking for is making money than more power to em.

uMMMMMMMMM IT DOESNT WORK THAT Way fe rpprentices they aRENT allowed to drag UP

I realize that apprentices can't do that but I was just wondering if it's common for journeyman to just quit jobs or continuesly get fired the only reason I ask is because I come from non union employers and I just never encountered employers that are ok with this. And Im the first in my family to join a union so I don't know to much bout em.

I'm not trying to make anyone mad I just really don't know much about it

Ummmmmmmm well yer in the right place to learn

6. Default

Can you tell me more about the process of getting into neat? I am applying for their apprenticeship and looking for some pointers. How long is the process, why are the test like etc. also, how does the pay work? When do you start getting paid and what is boot camp? Is it like a climbing school?

Quote Originally Posted by 300mxc View Post
    I realize that apprentices can't do that but I was just wondering if it's common for journeyman to just quit jobs or continuesly get fired the only reason I ask is because I come from non union employers and I just never encountered employers that are ok with this. And Im the first in my family to join a union so I don't know to much bout em.
    Yes it is common, that is one of the benefits of this line of work... if you don't like the job you simply quit...whether because you don't like it or if you find a better job you prefer... it's very common in certain areas when a storm hits and the company they are working for doesnt chase it. Reputation seems to be everything in this line of work too...so if you were to get fired a lot, it probably would be a good thing... sounds like you already know about the apprenintice part... if you get fired during your probation or quit during any of the appenticeship... ur done.

Thanks pootnagle and wantafastz28 for your replies as for mptree1 this past weekend was
    my orientation and we started climbing and as far as the schedule goes the first three or four weekends are all learning how to climb then you take a climbing test that you have to pass in order to start the apprenticeship then after you pass that it looks like it is on to things like pole top rescue, first aid and CPR, knot tying and other job related knowledge you'll need to know before starting to work. As far as the test and interview go its more of a waiting game than anything. Study your algebra I thought I remembered it but when I started studying I realized I had forgot a lot between high school and now, for the interview just be confident in yourself,look em in the eyes when you talk and show that you really want it and it's not just about the money.

Quote Originally Posted by wantafastz28 View Post
    Yes it is common, that is one of the benefits of this line of work... if you don't like the job you simply quit...whether because you don't like it or if you find a better job you prefer... it's very common in certain areas when a storm hits and the company they are working for doesnt chase it. Reputation seems to be everything in this line of work too...so if you were to get fired a lot, it probably would be a good thing... sounds like you already know about the apprenintice part... if you get fired during your probation or quit during any of the appenticeship... ur done.
    Some of these outfits will put you on a no-rehire list if you quit. It's happened to me. Now that the big companies are buying all the little ones, they are starting to dictate their own terms. The union halls aren't doing a very good job of backing up the men either. It's all about that right of refusal clause. They just go along to get along. We need to take our trade back Brothers.

Featured Sponsorr

If theres a person that is fired pretty often,and he thinks its normal...I would just say,that you can guess what Id say,even though Im not going to say it.