Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Ground Men and Apprentices

Featured Sponsor

How do you treat your ground men and apprentices?

Maybe the question should be "How were YOU treated as a ground man or apprentice?". I don't know about you, but I was treated like "lower than whale sh!t". The linemen I worked under were old power company hands who were linemen in the 1950's. They treated their groundmen and apprentices badly because that was the way it was done. I suppose they wanted to haze me to see if they could break me.

I didn't respond well to that treatment and I paid the price. I wouldn't do it any differently despite what I had to go through. I am a man, number one and a ground man or apprentice, number two. Their way of "educating" me was not conducive to my learning abilities.

I made up my mind early on that I would not treat another man that way if I could avoid it. There is a fact that some people may not understand. Line work is not a job that everyone can do. It takes a certain kind of person to do this work. We are unique and that's why they pay us well.

I prefer to take the time initially to thoroughly explain the task I am assigning my groundman or apprentice. I figure, if he understands EXACTLY what I want and EXACTLY how to do the task, I am more likely to get the desired results.

A comparison set of examples is this: I worked with another lineman who treated his groundman the way I was treated. He was on a pole and was trying to explain to his groundman how to pull a guy wire and make up a guy preform. His groundman was new and had never experienced making up a guy. He was yelling at his groundman and calling him names that i cannot type here. He was completely degrading his apprentice and the man was not able to properly complete his task.

At the same time, I was working with my groundman. We were working on another down guy at the same three pole structure. I patiently explained to my groundman step by step how to pull and make up the guy. I showed him how many hoist clicks to take up for loss and how to make up the preform. He asked questions and I answered them concisely and calmly. The other lineman was yelling at his groundman and my groundman looked at me in a way that showed he knew how lucky he was to not be the other groundman.

When I had finished teaching my groundman, I was able to leave him to make up the other guy wires while i climbed my pole and worked on my task. The other groundman was still struggling with his guy and my groundman completed making up six guys. I also completed my task and came to the ground before the other lineman. My groundman taught the other groundman what he had learned.

The other lineman complained about how stupid his groundman was. I think we know who was the stupid one.

Word of advice to you new guys: There will be times when things are happening around you and you will be nervous and stressed. You may have someone yelling at you. You must tune out the yelling and THINK. Think about what is happening and what is the correct action. Even if it takes a bit more time to think about what you need to do... take the time. Ignore the yelling.

It's better if you take longer to do the right thing than to immediately do the wrong thing.

Great post.

I was treated like you, and I tried to never treat anyone like that.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    Great post.

I was treated like you, and I tried to never treat anyone like that.
    That sucks but I'm glad you don't do that.

uMMMMM i HAVE SEEN A LINMN COMPLETELY DESTROY AN APPRENTICES FAITH IN HIMSELF N THEY DIDNT LAST LONG AFTER THAT

5. Default

I had the same stuff. Was brought up in linework in the 60's.

I looked at as a "vetting" process. They were just "Fcukin" with me to see what I really was. Ya don't want to spend alot of time teachin somebody, that....when it comes down to it, really ain't worth a carp.

Course, stuff like that was "back in the day".

"Things' completely different nowdays....

I never treated my apprentices like that.

I told em what I wanted done, and How I wanted it done, and if I didn't get it done that way...yes, there was some butt chewin.

Sorry. I still believe, the LINEMAN is the "word" on the crew, and I'm sorry, apprentices and grunts, need to understand their place in the trade.

BUT...It's different nowdays, "politically" correct trade and all....

However, I, like you Mr. torren, always took the time to talk and explain things to all my apprentices, once I understood they Really wanted to be in Linework.
    Last edited by Old Line Dog; 10-31-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Ive been there too...I wonder if anybody has invented safety gear for being painted...seen that hurt peoples pride.

I think this is a good thread for people looking to get into the trade so they know what they are getting into. It gave me some insight considering that I'm finishing up line school and planning on going to work for swlcat. At least I already know the basics.

I apprenticed back in the day too, where a guy got chewed out if he didn't do things right. I also worked with guys that took time to teach a young fella about the trade, especially if he showed the interest and desire. Now there are time a fella needs to be chewed out, it makes for remembering really well. I work hard to treat everybody with the respect they deserve, but when you get a fella that won't learn, or refuses to listen what do you do? I have had guys that worked hard and showed the desire to learn. I have had guys that would not listen to their journeyman or foreman. I had one apprentice that would get in quite a snit if you would not let him go a job "his way" , even though it was unsafe. I had an apprentice that could not remember to put out cones, even after a year. He got chewed out. It takes a rare breed to be a good lineman and that breed is getting harder and harder to find, companies are settling on second best or worse. Scares me what is going to happen down the road. There are some guys that even unlimited amount of patience is not enough.

rob,im shaking my head...I mean if we all were to have a few drinks and someone told me that an apprentice that had over a year in the trade couldnt remember to put out cones,I might laugh.A helper,might not laugh....but an apprentice? Does he remember which hook goes on which leg....I might be asking for trouble by asking that...u r serious arent you?

Featured Sponsorr

Unfortunately Reppy , I am serious. The quality of the help is getting terrible. The worst part is the guy was a 3rd year apprentice. Even when I finally chewed them out they looked at me like I had two heads. Thats the part that scares me most. Now that being said I am working with 2 3rd years right now. The one guy has a heck of an attitude, when I told him up front that I am a bit old school and he might get s*** now and then, he just replied, "I guess I would deserve it then". The other guy sulks when he even thinks you are upset with him. I do believe in treating young guys properly, patience is required, but a bit of respect in return isn't too much to ask.