Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default So I went to an IBEW apprenticeship seminar...

Featured Sponsor

Well it was actually back in July in Toronto. Basically they said that it's tough out there right now and if you want to get into an apprenticeship you better have some sort of relevant experience to get in.

Further, they said that going to college before an apprenticeship ( such as a 1-3 yr diploma) is a waste of time and money.

So how am I supposed to get experience if I don't have any where to start?

I've been working the past few years saving up so I have the means to go to college and not go into debt, but after attending that IBEW seminar I'm not sure now.

I'm a little baffled by your info on the IBEW. Before I retired, the local union was setting up electric distribution classes for the contractors on our property. As a trainer we had meetings with the union to discuss those training classes. Why would 1 to 3 years of a tech school hurt your resume? It's good to have experience, but how are you going to get that without school or getting hired on somewhere?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    I'm a little baffled by your info on the IBEW. Before I retired, the local union was setting up electric distribution classes for the contractors on our property. As a trainer we had meetings with the union to discuss those training classes. Why would 1 to 3 years of a tech school hurt your resume? It's good to have experience, but how are you going to get that without school or getting hired on somewhere?
    They even used an example, such as trying to get a job at home depot and working your way into the electrical section is better than going to school

4. Default

CHeese,

I tried for over a year to land an apprenticeship. I've called Toronto Hydro directly and spoke to the HR person in charge of apprentices. She said they are slow, but keep looking, and these are the minimum qualifications.

To be eligible for either the Certified Powerline Person (CPLP) or Certified Power Cable Person (CPCP), you must meet the following criteria:
    - graduated with either a University Degree or 2 year College Diploma from an accredited College or University program
    - successfully completed an Electrical Theory course at the University or College level

I've spoken to numerous contractors and they are slow because Toronto Hydro is slow.

THe IBEW 353 is no help. Don't get me started on them.

Did you speak to Bill Finnerty? He is responsible for lineman at 353. But he won't be much helo. There are no jobs.

If you really want to be a lineman, move to Alberta. You will land one almost guarenteed.

The apprentices we hired were chosen by specific criteria.
    1. No drug or alcohol problems.
    2, clean driving record
    3. Criminal. Background check
    4. Some schooling tech school/ college
    5. Military service with electrical background
    6. Actual work experience in electric distribution.

The first three are mandatory requirements. The company protecting their liability.

This is how we worked it when the economy was in good shape and we were hiring. In the late ninety s were adding a dozen line mechanics 4 times a year. Now if there are two dozen hired we are lucky.
    Last edited by T-Man; 11-15-2012 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Added criminal bcheck

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by climbguy View Post
    CHeese,

I tried for over a year to land an apprenticeship. I've called Toronto Hydro directly and spoke to the HR person in charge of apprentices. She said they are slow, but keep looking, and these are the minimum qualifications.

To be eligible for either the Certified Powerline Person (CPLP) or Certified Power Cable Person (CPCP), you must meet the following criteria:
    - graduated with either a University Degree or 2 year College Diploma from an accredited College or University program
    - successfully completed an Electrical Theory course at the University or College level

I've spoken to numerous contractors and they are slow because Toronto Hydro is slow.

THe IBEW 353 is no help. Don't get me started on them.

Did you speak to Bill Finnerty? He is responsible for lineman at 353. But he won't be much helo. There are no jobs.

If you really want to be a lineman, move to Alberta. You will land one almost guarenteed.
    Not sure who I spoke to as the seminar was quite a few months ago. I have a university degree (BBA) but so far it has proven useless as I've only worked grunt jobs so that's why I'm trying to get into trades now. I am considering Alberta, I have family in Calgary and my friend's dad is a chemical engineer in Fort MCMurray who says they are screaming for electricians, mechanics and such so maybe he can hook me up with something after I get some schooling.

Does the training we get in Ontario schools qualify you for work in other provinces?? Did you get an apprenticeship yet?

Also one more, if I go to lineman college, are there any other jobs that I can branch off into with that kind of training?
    Last edited by cheese6; 11-15-2012 at 03:50 PM.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    The apprentices we hired were chosen by specific criteria.
    1. No drug or alcohol problems.
    2, clean driving record
    3. Criminal. Background check
    4. Some schooling tech school/ college
    5. Military service with electrical background
    6. Actual work experience in electric distribution.

The first three are mandatory requirements. The company protecting their liability.

This is how we worked it when the economy was in good shape and we were hiring. In the late ninety s were adding a dozen line mechanics 4 times a year. Now if there are two dozen hired we are lucky.
    At least I'm good for the first 3 lol

I have forestry experience so hopefully Hydro One gets back to me on my utility arborist apprenticeship application that I'm sending in soon. Too bad your chances of getting in are similar to winning the lottery if you dont know anyone.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cheese6 View Post

Does the training we get in Ontario schools qualify you for work in other provinces?? Did you get an apprenticeship yet?

Also one more, if I go to lineman college, are there any other jobs that I can branch off into with that kind of training?
    1. What type of schooling are you referring to when you say "Does the training we get in Ontario schools qualify you for work in other provinces?? Did you get an apprenticeship yet?

2. Other guys may answer but I don't think lineman school will 'qualify' you for other trades. What it will do is show you have the desire and the minimal mechanical aptitude. THIS is what they are looking for. Willingness and some mechanical ability. Not necessarily a background in the specific trade. Lineman school will make you look best for an electrician apprenticeship, AFTER a lineman apprenticeship.

Of course, I may be wrong. Others are welcome

Companies to lookup are Fortis, Altalink, Valard BC HYDRO

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by climbguy View Post
    1. What type of schooling are you referring to when you say "Does the training we get in Ontario schools qualify you for work in other provinces?? Did you get an apprenticeship yet?

2. Other guys may answer but I don't think lineman school will 'qualify' you for other trades. What it will do is show you have the desire and the minimal mechanical aptitude. THIS is what they are looking for. Willingness and some mechanical ability. Not necessarily a background in the specific trade. Lineman school will make you look best for an electrician apprenticeship, AFTER a lineman apprenticeship.

Of course, I may be wrong. Others are welcome

Companies to lookup are Fortis, Altalink, Valard BC HYDRO
    What I mean is that if I go to lineman college in Ontario, will I be able to apply to lineman jobs or an pprenitceships in say Alberta of BC?

Featured Sponsorr

The single most important quality you need to get hired is... a commitment to getting hired.

Ya, get your ducks in a row with pre-req's and a commercial license but beyond that, just start pounding on doors. And coming back, and back, and back. It's time consuming and tough, but it works.

Also, as per climbguy's advice: head west. Many more opportunities out in AB and SK (and BC) than it sounds like there is in Ontario right now.