Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Sandy

Default Super Sandy

Featured Sponsor

Now that a lot of you Linemen that worked Hurricane Sandy are getting back home I wonder if you could post some of your experiences here on the Forums. Also, if there are any Linemen who have worked both Sandy and Katrina it would be interesting to hear any comparisons between the two storms.

My idea is that if we can have a good thread here about the storm I would take it and put it in the Spring issue of Powerlineman Magazine. Pictures are always good to go with the stories..

Thank you in advance for any participation you can give.

bd

Blog Entries

I'll be short and sweet, 40 years in the business and I've never seen anything remotely close to the destruction caused by Sandy. I didn't see Katrina so I have no reference to that storm.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    I'll be short and sweet, 40 years in the business and I've never seen anything remotely close to the destruction caused by Sandy. I didn't see Katrina so I have no reference to that storm.
    Are you and your gangs still plugging away at the restoration? Or is what's left need to be rebuilt to accept power?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post

Are you and your gangs still plugging away at the restoration? Or is what's left need to be rebuilt to accept power?
    Both, will most likely be on this till the end of the year.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

To me Katrina with I believe Rita right behind it was the most water damage that I have ever seen, the storm surge was unbelieveable even 25 miles or so from the coast, saw whole subtations with water over the breakers in the switchyard. Sandy in my opininion also had some major storm surge although I'm not sure how far inland it effects were, the main difference to me was how populated it was in the Northeast and how old the electric infrastructure was where we were working, they were both bad but imho nothing compared to the devastation that Andrew left on South Fl in 92, it was the worst wind damage that I have ever seen from a hurricane.

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    Both, will most likely be on this till the end of the year.
    Take it a day at a time and now more than ever work safe, that work makes ya crazy after a while and you drop your guard. Stay safe.

7. Default

I think, people seem to "see" hurricanes, and "super storms" differently, depending on if you live in the area of, where the storm hit, or whether you are a Lineman, workin a storm, in your area or far away in another state.

The Devistation heartache is universal.

Every One of these "storms".... effects, many, many Lives, and the destruction, heartache, lasts for years to come.

There is no.... "This storm was the worst". Every Storm of the magnitude of Sandy or Katrina, or Irene...Is just Terrible.

As Linemen, we can only try to help and get the power back on, as soon as we can, to the areas that can be restored.

One thing I noticed about Sandy,some utilities started a major tree trimming efforts a few days before it hit,usually its afterwards.Anyone see other things that might of helped,or things that can be done better the next time theres a major storm?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    One thing I noticed about Sandy,some utilities started a major tree trimming efforts a few days before it hit.
    THAT is really cool! You should post the Names of those Utilities, they are to be commended for their "forward thinking"!!!
    I've NEVER heard of anything like that! That's Awsome mr. reppy! Who were these Utilities??

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Dog View Post
    THAT is really cool! You should post the Names of those Utilities, they are to be commended for their "forward thinking"!!!
    I've NEVER heard of anything like that! That's Awsome mr. reppy! Who were these Utilities??
    You make things easy for me swamp...I missed that while you were banned.The answer is your own advice...google it...and welcome back.