Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 69 kv arrestor change hot?

Featured Sponsor

I need a little input from some of you as I have never done this and would like to know if it's something that some of you have done before, we don't have lightning arrestors on our transmission system but we do live line work on it, another company has requested us to come change LA's on their 69 kv transmission line and they do not want to de-energize the line. The LA's are 42 kv arrestors that are hard tied to the end of the insulator so when you lift the phase out of the shoe it de-energizes the LA and when the phase is layed back into the shoe it energizes it, we have thought of all the scenarios with 1 hot truck and 1 cold truck and fixing a temp jumper to make and break with a stick etc, etc, but what I really want to know is if this is something that is done elsewhere or is it strictly done dead and grounded. Good information would be appreciated, it's a big world out there so I would like to see how this is handled elsewhere prior to jumping into this. Thanks' Charlie.

We always kill and ground when working on our 69 line... But we are a small muni wish I could help!

3. Default

I've actually done that once. Replaced One arrester hot. Those puppies are HUGE!

At least the one I replaced was. It was back in like....76. I actually took it home and made it into a Mailbox holder. It was bout 2 ft. around, and about 4 ft. high. I lived in the County back then. It became quite a conversation piece in the hood.

Is this arrester located in a Substation? Basically, we just disconnected the hot top connection, with sticks, isolated the wire, and replaced it. Bein that big, we did have to use a boom truck. The one I did was in a Sub. Where is this one? Got a Picture by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Dog View Post
    I've actually done that once. Replaced One arrester hot. Those puppies are HUGE!

At least the one I replaced was. It was back in like....76. I actually took it home and made it into a Mailbox holder. It was bout 2 ft. around, and about 4 ft. high. I lived in the County back then. It became quite a conversation piece in the hood.

Is this arrester located in a Substation? Basically, we just disconnected the hot top connection, with sticks, isolated the wire, and replaced it. Bein that big, we did have to use a boom truck. The one I did was in a Sub. Where is this one? Got a Picture by chance?
    These are mounted below the insulators on the pole, they are attached at both ends of the insulator, I haven't seen a lot of them and I have only seen them on 69 kv, it's not what you are thinking if your thinking about a station class arrestor, they have one for each phase at every third pole.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    These are mounted below the insulators on the pole, they are attached at both ends of the insulator, I haven't seen a lot of them and I have only seen them on 69 kv, it's not what you are thinking if your thinking about a station class arrestor, they have one for each phase at every third pole.
    Interesting.
    A Picture would be real cool.

However,

I can't see where the same logic wouldn't apply. An Arrester only has One primary connection on the top. Disconnect that, Isolate it, and proceed with the changeout.

With hot sticks disconnect the topside of the arrester....and however possible, depending on the logistical circumstances....Bring the old arrester down, and install the new one.

What is the physical size of this arrester? Is a picture possible?

6. Default

Out of curosity, why are you changin these arresters out? Are they Bad?

Default I think this is a pic of what LNF is talking about.

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/hps/im...G1G2001_TH.jpg

I believe these are the type the LNF is talking about.
    Take only what you earn, give only what you can, learn to respect yourself before you can expect to respect anything or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by linemanfrog View Post
    http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/hps/im...G1G2001_TH.jpg

I believe these are the type the LNF is talking about.
    Those are the very ones that I am talking about, thanks' Frog, you know how I am about these computers. Some of the arrestors are blown, others are showing that they are hot with an infra-red camera.
    Last edited by Lineman North Florida; 12-13-2012 at 06:45 AM.

Are these porcelin or poly? I've changed both hot. The ones I've done are attached to the line with a trunion clamp and hang off the line at around a 45* angle and attach to the pole. We did them with one truck, two guys and hot sticks.

Is this the type you're talking about?

If it is, the worst part is energizing the new ones right in front of your face.
    Last edited by TRAMPLINEMAN; 12-13-2012 at 06:59 AM.

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Are these polymer arresters? I'm thinking they would be. Polymer advantages of light weight and they down throw porcelein all over when they blow. I would be more comfortable with the polymer, and would not do it with old or used arresters taken down from someplace else.