1. Default San Diego Gas and Electric

Featured Sponsor

Hi all. I just interviewed for a laborer job at SDG&E. Its for the gas department but its a way into the company. I am sure that I can work my way up to an apprentice lineman. I have a good feeling about the way the interview went and I am confident that I have a strong chance of being offered the position.

I would of course have to relocate my family from New Jersey where I have a great steady job as an electrician. I would take a substantial pay cut but I know that there is great potential once I get into the company.

Does anyone know anything about SDGE especially how the linemen are doing? Anyone live in San Diego that could provide some insight? Is this a once in a lifetime opportunity?

I would really think about it,talk to family....is that where most of your family is...New Jersey? You mentioned that you now have a great steady job...why would you leave...your taking one hell of a chance if you go...no job is secure these days..look at the what ifs....what if the new company lays people off...would you be the first to go? Plus your saying that you would take a large pay-cut...((red flags)).I dont know your age or if you have a few children...Now for a single guy,Id say go for it and good luck....but if your older and are willing to give up a great steady job and take that chance Id say good luck a hundred times cause you are going to need that good luck....I cant see having a great steady job and taking a chance starting at the bottom...but anyway good luck X100

3. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by njpower View Post
    Hi all. I just interviewed for a laborer job at SDG&E. Its for the gas department but its a way into the company. I am sure that I can work my way up to an apprentice lineman. I have a good feeling about the way the interview went and I am confident that I have a strong chance of being offered the position.

I would of course have to relocate my family from New Jersey where I have a great steady job as an electrician. I would take a substantial pay cut but I know that there is great potential once I get into the company.

Does anyone know anything about SDGE especially how the linemen are doing? Anyone live in San Diego that could provide some insight? Is this a once in a lifetime opportunity?
    I wouldn't expect to get on the electrical side just because you are a laborer in the gas dept.,
    you might not shake out as a lineman even if you do get the opportunity to jump. The "great
    potential" may be negative as well as positive. I have lived and worked in the SD area,
    have a lot of family and friends there which allows me to live somewhat cheap when I'm there
    for any amount of time, great place but, if not for the military it wouldn't exist at its capacity.
    Very expensive to live there, lots of hollywood types own places there, pay is ok for lineman,
    your def budgeting. No clue what pay is on the gas side, the once in a lifetime thing makes me
    think you might be a little too excited about living there. On the other hand I've also been in
    the NE for work, and completely understand why a feller would want out. I don't have a family
    to move but, know supporting only myself, I have been strapped for cash, more than once in SDso family welfare def needs to be your #1 concern in my opinion.

linehandjlc