Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just fOr

Default Just fOr

Featured Sponsor

What do you guys think was the heaviest pole that you have set...can you give an about figure,concrete poles included...I was going to ask if any of you had used a digger that wasnt capable of lifting one...but everyone has had that happen to them ...I think.

80' douglas fir weighing about 6300lbs with an old k16. 65' concrete weighing about 8000lbs with a crane, of course.

Thats alot of weight rob...aint never set a douglas fir pole...is that the norm up north?Here they be mostly pine...I think...we do get some douglas firs...only around christmas and they are not used for poles.Any black walnuts..I wouldnt think so?

How about this 115'er (probably fir, not sure of weight) we set two months ago as a temporary dead-end for the static. Set with a crane and used a digger to control the butt. Unfortunately I didn't get to climb it.

Thats a bad boy...bc I see the handline had to be split...hope he had plenty of clearance,that one phase looks kinda close from my angle.How deep was the hole before you guys set that monster...and what bent the top of the tower?

Way back when I was working as a lineman(more a grunt than a lineman) I was assigned to a pole crew. We just went around and set poles for up coming jobs. We set these two 110 footers out side a new substation. I couldn't tell you how heavy they were. I just remember thinking lucky me I'm on the pole crew and someone else will have to climb these black greasy things.

A couple days later a huge storm came thru, lots of lightning and rain.

A day or so after the storm, I got scheduled to work on a line crew, a training rig. Guess where we went? Out to those two giants. I was driving and when we got close I told the foreman I was just here setting these the other day. He said well where did you set them? I couldn't believe it they were gone! They both took a shot of lightning and exploded into a million splinters. The buts were just shattered at ground level. I said to myself I think I just dodged another bullet, I won't have to climb those ugly dudes.

About two weeks later I'm on the crew heading back out to that substation. . .guess who got to frame those two with laminated arms? Lil old me. That was just the first two big sticks I framed, I got a few after that in my line career.

Default Heaviest pole

Heaviest ones i have ever set were 125' 4/0 pole for a project up to Seven Springs ski resort in the late 90's. used a 24 ton truck crane to set them. Heres a pic of the truck and crew, I;m the tall ugly one.

Name:  Image (30).jpg
Views: 551
Size:  98.6 KB
    Been to hell but the DEVIL said i was a crazy Motherfu&$er

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    Thats a bad boy...bc I see the handline had to be split...hope he had plenty of clearance,that one phase looks kinda close from my angle.How deep was the hole before you guys set that monster...and what bent the top of the tower?
    Both circuits were de-energized. It was set at about 14' depth. They figure is was a tornado in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan that did the damage. It knocked several structures to the ground and folded the wings right over on the western side circuit on several more structures. We replaced 9 complete structures and 4 or 5 static spires on others.
    Last edited by langfordbc; 12-16-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Thats one mean mullett ya got there!!

Featured Sponsorr

As big as you are..why even use a crane? And T...I kind of know that feeling...you get when something inside tells you that you will be the one climbing a pole that you have no interest climbing....but not that tall.I have to admit...Ive never climbed a pole that tall...Towers yes...poles no....funny question....how the hell is a man susposed to cut a fart that high up....Id be tighter than hell